Registered
5,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To you is hunting a
1- Sport
2- Hobby
3- Passion
4- Necessity(food)

What drives you to get up at O dark 30 to head out into the black wilderness?

To me it is a passion, not so much for shooting animals but for the challenge and enjoyment of nature. There is so much more out there than just deer.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I first and foremost hunt for the meat...........I happen to REALLY like it!:eek:: I also love being outdoors and hunt a wide variety of animals in several states & Canada. This year I didn't need the meat, saw a LOT of does but no bucks to my liking during the Missouri Archery/Gun season so I never took a shot at anything. I had already killed a Muley and Elk in Wyoming and quite a lot of Pheasants/Quail/Grouse so I saw no need.

All in all, I'd have to say I hunt for the sport.

·
17,674 Posts
I hunt for multiple reasons. I guess you could say all of the above. Hunting to me reminds me of time I spent with my father when I was a kid. I hunt because my family eats what we kill and we enjoy the good family meals and time spent around the table after a good meal, usually stories are told of how the meal was provided. I also hunt because it is a passion and a hobby of mine both, the time in the woods for me is therapy from day to day life as well as a challenge that I get enjoyment out of accomplishing. I enjoy all aspects out of hunting...not just the killing or the trophy. To me all harvests are trophies and they all come with memories that I will never forget. I intend to teach my son the importance and the value of hunting from all angles and not just how to kill the biggest deer possible. Hunting should be enjoyed and not a competition....that is why it is not really a sport. Strictly how I feel.

·
Registered
18,246 Posts
Hunting means a lot of things to me. The numerous challenges involved are personal goals, the time to reflect on lifes other baloney, enjoying nature in general, social times, the meat, lots and lots o reasons.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
A little bit of 1; but mainly 2 and 3. 4 only because the family absolutely loves it. Thankfully we have never had to rely on it as our only source of food.

For me it is a hobby more than a passion. It is something that I enjoy and is a way to get away from it all. I enjoy planting food plots, putting out cameras, setting stands, and spending time on MWT with others who enjoy hunting and the outdoors. But to be real honest, I love killing them. I am not really sure why, I just do. It doesn't matter if it is a 50 lb yearling doe or the buck of a lifetime. Or if I am hunting with a bow, rifle, or muzzleloader, I just like shooting deer.

·
Registered
6,852 Posts
All of the above, but it boils down to the meat...

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
3 & 4 & probably 1 & 2 also.

·
White Board Man
14,380 Posts
COmbination of Hunter and Hun10 reason minus the whole father thing, my pops didn't really take me much to do anything but fish.

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
i hunt because i want to. tradition sort of thing but even as a tradition i wouldn't do it if i didn't like it.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
becouse i can:cheers:

·
Registered
425 Posts
I hunt because it is an escape. I also like the thrill of the kill. And definitely for the meat as well. I can go out, hear the owls hoot and turkeys rustle, paying complete attention to what is going on around me and not worry about the bills or day to day work stuff. I hunt a lot.

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
cuz i like to :cheers:

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
70,973 Posts
I was raised hunting... And even though I don't personally understand why I am driven to do it.... I just know, it would be a big hole in my life if I didn't.....:thinking:

I do think, some individuals are just more in touch, with our ancestor's hunting heritage, so it just comes naturally......:shrug:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts