Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
21,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do people aim their Bow up, draw and then aim. This seems like unnecessary movement?

oneshot

:D The Big Grin holds her Tail down but wags it.

15,013 Posts
what Wingmaster said. Some ranges it is against the rules to do that. Not sure who is to enforce that or any rule.

The range where my brother shoots at (Florida) they changed the rules so you cannot shoot more then a 50lb bow. A business beyond the trees had a few arrows do some damage. My brother then bought a 50lb Halon 32-6 and found out it is a lot faster then his previous 60lb bow(un-named brand).

· Registered
21,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This was Hunting and it seemed like way too much movement and if like me hunting from the ground there is no way a person could get away with it.

I don't even have to wear a Arm Guard other than because of Clothes, because my Bow arm is always bent.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin always has to aim up with her Pea Shooter because every beast is higher than her.

· Registered
21,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So people fail to understand killing something depends more on a sharp Broadhead than anything else? I used 40 Pound draw to kill many Deer using old Bear Heads hunting from the ground, letting Deer pass me before shooting.

My Dad always said why don't you just hit them in the Head with a rock getting them so close.

I now use a Crossbow and just found I can hit what I'm shooting out to 60 yards, in past I always set my Max to 30 yards, so 60 might be a mistake. Most my Deer with a Rifle have been 50 yards, my longest shot ever was 150 yards after setting 6 hours down around Zero degrees, with a Modern Inline Muzzleloader Open Sights.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin is good out to 3 yards.

· Máistir an pointe hocht.
75,067 Posts
Some guys feel like they are not a man if they are not pulling 70lbs plus.

Just the way it is. I switched to a 60 lb bow long before i needed to. All the deer i killed with the 60 lb bow didn’t notice. I can see pulling more for elk or bear, but for ****** 60 is all anyone ever needs. :thinking:

· #freetheninja
2,161 Posts
As stated, it’s a dead give away of a Nancy that can’t handle their bow. Probably can’t handle their liquor or their woman either and will most likely go straight to hell upon dying for being a hack archer and miscellaneous other personality short comings. It’s best to stay away from this type of person

· Registered
328 Posts
Way to much emphasis is placed on poundage and speed. So all these people crank the poundage up thinking it’s better.
This has always been the case. And for newbs in the sport, it’s everything.
Remember overdraws? You got a 19.5” draw, but shooting 17” shafts. Oh my how many got sucked into That dangerous mess.

· Under appreciated
93,225 Posts
General rule, if ya can't draw your bow sitting down, without lifting your feet for leverage you're over bowed. Turn it down.
Agree. I'm liking shooting from a seated position these past few years.

· Banned
7,215 Posts
I think lifting your feet takes away the leverage, not add too it. Anybody who can’t pull 70lbs should prolly try carrying a few bricks around in their purse until they can shoot 300fps minimum. Anything less is unethical to the game we hunt and we owe them more than that. Everyone knows a deer can suction cup it’s feet and duck an arrow going any slower.

Reactions: mattys281

· Registered
8,049 Posts
It’s a habit for myself now I guess. Probably for when I was pulling too much poundage when I was younger. Maybe it’s just another habit but I tend to shoot better when I settle the pen from the top. Probably the wrong thing to do but it works for me

Reactions: Vikestand

· Over There
8,945 Posts
It's a habit for myself now I guess. Probably for when I was pulling too much poundage when I was younger. Maybe it's just another habit but I tend to shoot better when I settle the pen from the top. Probably the wrong thing to do but it works for me
I picked up archery after taking a 15 year break. Out of habit I do it. But like you, it seems to be how I can get set. Bow is at 70lbs. I don't believe that is out of my strength zone, but maybe. I am just a little guy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.