Why College Football Rankings are so ridiculous.

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by callaojoe, Nov 1, 2010.

1. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Until College D-I football get's some sort of a playoff system....:whistle:

And, as a Mizzou fan, I am using them as an example of how stupid the rankings are.....:bored:

One week after Mizzou beats up on the Sooners.... And, they did kick their A.....:claphands:

They lose a game to a highly "ranked" team on the road, and have an identical 7-1 record, and the Sooners are ranked ahead of Mizzou.

Until they can find a way to have what happens on the field count.... What a shame, take something so wonderful as a college football game, and then screw it all up with politics.

It's just too bad, greed and politics mess up such a wonderful sport....:shrug:

2. Heeler75

Heeler75 Confirmed Bachelor

Feb 10, 2008
    Over Yonder Way
    The team that beat OU should have showed up and beat NU. :D

I didn't see the game but when the announcers start saying "Gabbert's getting happy feet" you know it's gonna be bad.

3. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    [rquote=1873594&tid=130496&author=callaojoe]Until College D-I football get's some sort of a playoff system....:whistle:

And, as a Mizzou fan, I am using them as an example of how stupid the rankings are.....:bored:

One week after Mizzou beats up on the Sooners.... And, they did kick their A.....:claphands:

They lose a game to a highly "ranked" team on the road, and have an identical 7-1 record, and the Sooners are ranked ahead of Mizzou.

Until they can find a way to have what happens on the field count.... What a shame, take something so wonderful as a college football game, and then screw it all up with politics.

It's just too bad, greed and politics mess up such a wonderful sport....:shrug:[/rquote]

is it because OU plays a tougher schedule this year to date:whistle:I don't know the answer? or because the pollsters have your mentality and like seeing the same ol teams run for the championship.

4. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    [rquote=1873597&tid=130496&author=Heeler75]The team that beat OU should have showed up and beat NU. :D

I didn't see the game but when the announcers start saying "Gabbert's getting happy feet" you know it's gonna be bad. [/rquote]

No doubt... But, I have never understood how a team, that get's beat by another team can be ranked higher than the team that beat them..... Nebraska, sure they belong ahead of Mizzou... But, not OU. OU has their name, and Reputation and that is why they are ranked higher....

Remember when Texas beat OK, OK beat Tex Tech, and Tex Tech beat Texas and they all ended up with the same record. OK got the nod, and the shot at the National "Championship".... Like I said, "ranking" teams is stupid.

Almost as bad as world cup soccer, where they could "draw lots" to see who advances in tie situations.... :stickfight:

5. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    OU & Miz schedules are similar.... OU played FL-state, Mizzou played Illini, so I guess theirs is a wee bit tougher.... Still don't wipe out what happened on the field with Mizzou & OU though... Shouldn't that be the thing that's most important. Head to head competition....??? I'm just sayin....:confused:

6. gentleben

gentleben Active Member

Sep 9, 2010
    STL
    For further proof of your statement, look to basketball. I haven't looked it up and I'm not going to, but I'd be very surprised if #1 and #2 in the rankings have ever played against each other in the title game. If it's happened, I'd bet it's few and far between. There needs to be a playoff in football. My 2 cents which is usually worth about a penny!

7. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    [rquote=1873612&tid=130496&author=callaojoe]OU & Miz schedules are similar.... OU played FL-state, Mizzou played Illini, so I guess theirs is a wee bit tougher.... Still don't wipe out what happened on the field with Mizzou & OU though... Shouldn't that be the thing that's most important. Head to head competition....??? I'm just sayin....:confused:[/rquote]

I agree with you 100% just playing some. MU is a good/nice program and unfortunately they cannot win the NEXT big game to get them over the top.

8. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Something else to take into consideration, these schedules are set up a few years in advance. Who knows how these teams will be in those years and what new players they will have. :shrug: