Who's using a scope on thier Turkey Gun?

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by JackJr, Feb 8, 2006.

1. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Mike I used a scope for one season. Only turkey I ever missed was because of that scope.:banghead: I now use the fiber optic sights and they are kick:ass: as far as I'm concerned. I had my scope zeroed for thirty yards and I missed at about 8 yards. Shot right over the Tom's head. Couldn't find him in the scope quick enough and he flew straight up and away. This was also caught on video for a hunting show down in Texas.:boohoo:

Jack

2. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    I have never used a scope, but I also have the fiber optic sights. Just like JackJr said they are awesome.

3. Poor Valley

Poor Valley Active Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Rolla, Mo
    A scope on a trukey gun is a handicap I can't afford. Peep sights are the omly wat to go!

4. r2ahunter

r2ahunter New Member

Dec 6, 2005
    down on the farm
    fiber optic the only way to fly or stop'm from flying. I even like to shoot a bunch clays just prior to season. just in case:cheers:

5. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    For close up work quick aquisition of the target I do not like scopes period. Whether it be shotgun or rifle. I felt this way before I put the scope on but did it anyway.:stickfight: Sometimes I'm a dumb:ass:..................:bangin:

Jack

6. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Miie like I said I had mine for 30 yards but if I did it again I'd probably go with 20 yards. Most birds I shoot are around 20 or closer. Don't remember why I zeroed at 30 before. I did not have see thru mounts though. That's a real good idea.

Jack

7. PMan

PMan Retired

Dec 3, 2002
    I have never shot a turkey gun with a scope on it-----I may be needing to in a few more years if my sight keeps getting worse!:wave:

8. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS

Mike I had mine mounted with regular Weaver style bases,s o no see-thru. The see-thru mount would make it much better though. After that miss I am still leery of scoped shotguns even though I know ballistically that turkey loads and chokes are more like shooting a rifle than a shotgun..

Jack

9. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I understand the desire to try something new..... It's how I got started smokin wee..... ooo, ah, Im mean cigars.... back in the 70's....:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Anyway....:smiley:

Personally, I feel turkey huntin is one of them "get em close" kinda sports... So, I use the 3 dot tru glow sight, and 3" shells....

I think we've gotten away from what makes turkey hunting so great with the 3 1/2" super duper triple magmun shot shells & laser sights....

This is however just my opinion. And whichever legal way ya wanna pursue the birds is cool with me..... Good luck either way!:cheers:

10. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    So CJ tell me about that a ahh weee uuhhh, err cigars ya smoke.:dancin: Oops tryin' ta derail CP thread here.:bangin:

Jack

11. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Used to smoke.....

Found out later that they were bad for ya.....:rotfl:

:smiley:

12. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    CP now that's an idea...:banana: I am considering getting a twenty for places I hunt that I know the turkeys have to get close. Cheaper shells, less kick and a lighter gun.

Jack

13. PMan

PMan Retired

Dec 3, 2002
    Less kick is nice!:rotfl:

14. Iused to use a scope and went back to the 3 dot fiber optics and love them. i use mine for bustin swampers also. those sights work great for rabbit head shots. i have been thinking of trying a red dot for bird hunting. They have them in camo here in the big one its like 42 mm or so. I think it would work alot better than the scope. To much movement to get linned up with the scope in my opinion.

chad

15. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    I've always wanted to try one of these, on my turkey gun.

[​IMG]

TRUGLO TruPoint Open Red-Dot Sight

A tubeless red-dot sight that is waterproof and fogproof.

Shock-proof on firearms up to .50 caliber.

At only 2 oz., you won't even know it's on your gun.

TruPoint features unlimited eye relief, a 4-MOA dot for quick, easy target acquisition, and a light-sensitive rheostat for brightness control.

The sight is fully adjustable for windage and elevation.

A special lens coating completely eliminates double-dot or split images.

It has low power consumption for long battery life.

When a battery does have to be replaced, you can do it without removing the sight.

A protective snap-on cover activates "sleep mode" to save battery power.

The TruPoint is ideal for shotguns & handguns ~ not to mention crossbows.

16. How much do they run? that looks like a good deel.

17. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    The good thing about that sight is no obstruction to your field of view and easy for quick target aquisition. Only trouble is it still relies on windage and elevation adjustments.

Jack

18. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County

$229.99 @ Cabela's ~ which is why I haven't tried one yet...

19. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    For that price I'll stick to the fiber optics. Heck I could buy another gun for that much money or a good scope.

Jack

20. Yeah nevermind. I only gave about 289 for the 835. Im with jack my fiber optics will just have to do the job. Ive got a 60 dollar scope on my ruger deer rig i would hate to have that high dollar rig on a scatergun.

chad