Who's the best turkey hunting legend?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by Hooks, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Hooks

Hooks Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Down the bayou
    With the passing of Dick Kirby recently, I was thinking back on the folks that were around when I first started turkey hunting and was wondering who were the greatest of the turkey hunting legends.
    Dick Kirby would have to stand out as one of them. It was on one of his cassettes that I learned how to call turkeys. Just about wore that thing out and listened to him go on an actual hunt where he called in and killed the "Boss Gobbler of Letchworth Canyon." That was before the days of the television goofs that commercialized it so much--not that Dick didn't make a good living out of it himself. I would have put him pretty high on the list when I was a kid--a particullarly difficult accomplishment for him since he hailed from north of the Mason-Dixon line.:D
    But there were also others such as Preston Pittman and Tom Kelley to mention a few.
    Then there is the question of who is the best turkey caller of all time. I believe that award would have to go to Chris Parrish--that guy can make the most realistic noises of anybody I have ever heard.
    Also, the nicest guy award would have to go to Alex Rutledge. I was in a calling competition against him once and I tore the reed on my call that I was going to use for the Kee-kee. Alex realized what I had done and he actually was going to give me one of his calls, and he didn't know me from Adam. He went on to win that contest.
    So, who do you all think would qualify as the greatest turkey hunting legends?

2. ryanlowe02

ryanlowe02 Sexual Intellectual

Aug 11, 2007
    Raymore, MO
    michael waddell and can sure get after the turks

3. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    Lungbuster44
    :bowing:

4. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    our very own henry :D

5. Some of alex rutledges family sound more like a turkey without a call than about anyone with a call. If you are talking callers I'm not certain, but you wanna talk best turkey bhunters, I know a pair of guys who are prolly up there. Aint seen a turkey that one of them couldn't kill.

6. knockemdeadd

knockemdeadd New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
  7. At killing jakes? Bbbwwwaahhhhh, I used to be pretty good at it, but got to fat and loud and slow moving through the woods.

8. Refuze2falo

Refuze2falo Plain White Cracker

Aug 13, 2008
    We are neighbors
  9. Hannibal

Hannibal Senior Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Greene county
    :claphands::claphands::claphands::claphands::claphands:
    its great to be a legend........Rob..........when ya live with the turkey ....you become one.........:wave:

10. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
  11. knockemdeadd

knockemdeadd New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    [rquote=1867321&tid=129994&author=Chad]At killing jakes? Bbbwwwaahhhhh, I used to be pretty good at it, but got to fat and loud and slow moving through the woods.[/rquote]

yeah you're right. the tough part was not killin 2 of em :whistle:

you got me good, that morning ! :rof2::rof2::cheers:

12. goosekilla

goosekilla Senior Member

Dec 9, 2008
    west of STL
    Besides myself :D. It would be a tough one. I have been fortunate enough to hunt with some of the masters. Alex Rutledge, Matt Morrett, Eddie Salter, , Steve Stoltz, Michael Waddell, and I would have to say in my book it's Matt Morrett, even though every one of these guys has had me do just as much calling as them. Morrett just gets it done, no-matter where we were. Eddie Salter is as good as they come as well, and he will walk the shoes off of anybody.

13. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

My Brother in Law, in my book at least!!:cheers::wave:

14. Actually, wwhat I said was, you want me too kill all 3 of em? And then couldn't hardly keep from rolling when you said NO so loud I knew you thought I was serious! Was a fun morning for sure.
    [rquote=1867364&tid=129994&author=knockemdeadd][rquote=1867321&tid=129994&author=Chad]At killing jakes? Bbbwwwaahhhhh, I used to be pretty good at it, but got to fat and loud and slow moving through the woods.[/rquote]

yeah you're right. the tough part was not killin 2 of em :whistle:

you got me good, that morning ! :rof2::rof2::cheers:[/rquote]

15. Hannibal

Hannibal Senior Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Greene county
    Ray Eye came down and hunted my buddy's farm, he aint to bad.

16. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    I'm thinking Uncle Ted with a bow. That man has killed more animals with his bow than I've ever will with rifle and bow combined.

17. Hooks

Hooks Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Down the bayou
    [rquote=1867370&tid=129994&author=goosekilla]Besides myself :D. It would be a tough one. I have been fortunate enough to hunt with some of the masters. Alex Rutledge, Matt Morrett, Eddie Salter, , Steve Stoltz, Michael Waddell, and I would have to say in my book it's Matt Morrett, even though every one of these guys has had me do just as much calling as them. Morrett just gets it done, no-matter where we were. Eddie Salter is as good as they come as well, and he will walk the shoes off of anybody.[/rquote]

I would be inclined to lean towards Morrett as one of the top ones myself. Of the one's you mentioned, I'd say Alex Rutledge and Morrett would be the ones I would enjoy hunting with the most. As I said before, Alex made an impression on me as being a genuine person and dedicated to his Christian faith.

18. MoBowman

MoBowman New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Well in my book it would have to be our very own TINMAN, :claphands: He hit the call only 5-6 times this spring (on my grandsons hunt) and about 30 birds appeared in front of us :eek: It was like magic :trophy:

19. goosekilla

goosekilla Senior Member

Dec 9, 2008
    west of STL
    [rquote=1867383&tid=129994&author=Hooks][rquote=1867370&tid=129994&author=goosekilla]Besides myself :D. It would be a tough one. I have been fortunate enough to hunt with some of the masters. Alex Rutledge, Matt Morrett, Eddie Salter, , Steve Stoltz, Michael Waddell, and I would have to say in my book it's Matt Morrett, even though every one of these guys has had me do just as much calling as them. Morrett just gets it done, no-matter where we were. Eddie Salter is as good as they come as well, and he will walk the shoes off of anybody.[/rquote]

I would be inclined to lean towards Morrett as one of the top ones myself. Of the one's you mentioned, I'd say Alex Rutledge and Morrett would be the ones I would enjoy hunting with the most. As I said before, Alex made an impression on me as being a genuine person and dedicated to his Christian faith.[/rquote]

Alex is a GREAT person and besides him signing me on with H.S. in 1998, he helped me re kindle my faith in 2006!!! Top-notch fella in my book!!