Who needs instructional owl calling tapes

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by Original Al, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Original Al

Original Al New Member

When you got the real deal outside. It's a nice night so's I got the sliding door open with just the screen door closed and I can hear an owl outside hootin' it up :eek:

I don't need no stinkin instructional tapes, I'll pick up some tips from the owl

2. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    Try calling to them when they move off to another tree and see if you can get him to come back. It's a "hoot" playin with the owls.

3. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

I'd say they would be the best teachers!!! Just rare back and let er rip...see if he'll answer ya!!!

4. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    I would be interested in the tapes sir, but why would you want to call an owl?
    :neuspeuter:

5. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Its all about getting wildlife of any type to respond to a call:eek:

BTW.. good owl calls, with an owl decoy while crow hunting brings them crows right in!!

6. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    Nicholas, He is using a owl call to locate turkeys!

7. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Yep.. can be a good locator call at certain times for turks also!

8. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    I got the owl and crow call for the turkey but they do not sound like owls or crows to me. That would be a good reason for the tape! Thanks folks....

9. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I have a primos crow call and it needs very little wind pressure to make the sound.

Dont worry that it doesnt sound exactly like crows to you... soft and short is the key.

Gobblers, when in the mood, will just about respond to a car door slamming shut. As far as when to use a locator call, I will leave it up to the experts here...

BTW... crow hunting is a hoot. If you havent, you should. They are very intelligent creatures with a whole set of complicated language in thier own right... Very acute eyesight and can be challenging at times. Setup, calling and use of decoys is every bit as important as any other type of hunting. Several crow-hunting resources on the web.. here are a couple I am fond of..complete with recipes!

http://www.crowbusters.com/

http://www.thecrowroost.com/

10. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    that'd be me... :roll2: err blah blah blah :rotfl:

but on a serious note, you dont have to sound like a real owl, albeit, at times it helps, but ive been blowing various owl calls for years and i still feel as if i sound like a weetod... when to use em? when they aint gobblin :D I blow the owl call first thing in the morning as soon as i start hearin whooperwills (however you speel that there bird) always start out soft, jus case you got a bign in the tree above ya dont wanna blast him out of there... get em to gobble once or twice, three times if yer brave and then get to bookin and set up on em... after daylight if they stop gobblin i use owl sometimes, sometimes crow, sometimes pilleated woodpecker / peacock.. and sometimes i jus yell "woooooooooohooooo" super loud and it works.. theres no tried and true perfect method..

my best piece of advice, dont pressure yourself to sound "real" jus get some volume goin and have fun with it..

edit: oh yeah, yote calls work for some people, i never use em simply cuz where i hunt i know theres yotes, ya blow that and ya might shut em up even worse...

11. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    Too bad I can not just use an electronic call! I will try the door slamming thing though rat, I know I can manage that one.

12. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    hey the door slammin worked this mornin :D had 3 different birds gobblin at me as i slammed the door...

13. BIG OL AL

BIG OL AL New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    High Ridge MO
    I had a bunch of owls checking me out the other night when I was practicing my owl hooting. I was over at my buddy's 22 acre farm. I love to try and call em in. Had one land in a tree 20 yards away. Flew right over us. Had another fly right behind us. Those owls were everywhere. I love when they get all wound up and start doing the monkey call. I had them birds freaking out on me. They didn't know what to think! I'm getting pretty good at the monkey call myself. It was great to hear so many owls. And guess I won't have to call myself once the turkey season starts, I'll just let the owls call for me.