Who lives and dies by the wind???

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by goosekilla, Oct 26, 2010.

1. goosekilla

goosekilla Senior Member

Dec 9, 2008
    west of STL
    Do you wait for a certain wind direction before you hunt a particular stand?

2. bowhuntKS

bowhuntKS King of the White Ninjas

Sep 11, 2006
    KS
    I do...if aint right I'm not hunting it, and I even wear scent loc:D

3. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    I sure as heck try & when 'n' if winds change on me... I'll usually climb down.
    I yanked a stand down last Saturday morning in a spot where regardless of wind direction it was like sitting in a toilet bowl of wind. Getting busted by a deer out of sight to the "west" with a straight "south" wind.... :mad2:

4. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    My putting people in stands because of the wind direction being the key factor, has resulted in 9 slickhead kills so far this year. Didn't ask them if they showered this morning in scent free soap, how they washed their clothes, what brand of scent wafers they were carrying, any of that stuff.

I send them in (me included) thinking about the wind from the truck to the stand. Not just at the stand.

Parker

5. Not me. Got tired of worrying about it. So I started hunting mainly out of a climber. So I just take the time to eliminate human scent on body and clothes. So instead of tripping on which spot, I just climb a different tree. I climb high, and smoke cigaretes, and still kill plenty of deer.

6. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    I have one stand on the west side of an 18 acre thicket, its up on a hill above the thicket. if I hunt it with anything BUT a west wind I get busted. Even calm days ive been winded out of it.
    I have another stand on the East side of the same thicket I can hunt it no matter wind direction and never get busted and its on the same level as the thicket? the one on the East is by far the most productive stand on this farm in 18 years of hunting there. Its just in the right spot. I don't know how many deer Ive killed out of it and Ive put 7 others in it and they have killed in their first sit. I don't remember EVER getting winded out of it even with a direct West wind blowing right into the thicket.

so yes....and no to answer your question! :D

7. jwgossage

jwgossage Member

I would like to but i don't really understand it- maybe someone will give me a crash course on hunting based on the wind....

8. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    Most of my stands are set up with either a North or Northwest wind or a south or southwest wind. Because of that an east wind is usually a problem for me.

At my best farm I don't have much luck planning my approach to the stand based on wind direction because the place is landlocked on the North, South, and west. It is also very rough country for this area and the wind tends to blow one way on high ground and completely the opposite in the valleys and on the slopes. The result is that no matter where you are going on the place if you go up and down the hills the wind is constantly changing. I've been hunting this farm my entire life and I have a pretty good handle on where to hunt with what wind but its tough..not only because of the wind but because of the limited approach options and because of the way the deer use the farm.

9. racks-n-beards

racks-n-beards Chiefs FANatic

I do everytime when hunting at home.

When hunting other locations, gun/mler season I am way more limited on time to hunt. I'll watch the winds. But will hunt more marginal ones during that time.

10. goosekilla

goosekilla Senior Member

Dec 9, 2008
    west of STL
    [rquote=1863332&tid=129744&author=jwgossage]I would like to but i don't really understand it- maybe someone will give me a crash course on hunting based on the wind....[/rquote]

You have to determine where the deer are and where are they going. then you set up to where the wind IS NOT blowing in the direction you expect the deer to come from.

I have a 315 acre farm that I hunt and I only have 4 stands on it. It took alot of scouting and studying arial photos of the farm. I do not want in any circumstance to have the wind blowing into the timber. i have one stand in a 200 block of timber and I can only hunt it with a southerly wind, and the only reason for that is it blows my sent out over top of a big bowl off a big steep bank. The rest of my stands have the wind blowing my scent out into the middle of nowhere. I hunt low impact and minimize my intrusion by it. 11 hunts this year, over 60 deer seen and only been skunked once. I live and die by the wind.

11. Doubleshot75

Doubleshot75 Active Member

Nov 6, 2006
    Yup..... I've abandoned the entire "scent free" approach. I've tried all the scent killer/proof tricks and bought all the gear and none of it will ever work (imo). I hang a lot of stands so no matter what the wind direction I have, I'll at least have one stand I can hunt.

Works for me!!!

12. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter Active Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    I think about it every time I'm hunting, but it doesn't always dictate what stand I hunt. Like 7x mentioned, I've got stands that I can hunt regardless of the wind direction and they almost always produce shot opportunities.

13. gentleben

gentleben Active Member

Sep 9, 2010
    STL
    My situation is similar to hunter7x's. Roughly 20 acre patch of timber surrounded by beans/corn. I have 3 stands set up in it and will pick my stand depending on the wind. I also have a ground blind in the middle of it to catch em sneaking through on a midday romp.

14. goosekilla

goosekilla Senior Member

Dec 9, 2008
    west of STL
    I still take ALL precautions in scent control. I dont wear carbon suits but I do wear the silver base layer stuff and i spray down EVERY layer of clothes. I had a 2 1/2yr old 8pt bed down 25yds down wind of my for well over an hour yesterday, but he was also down the side of the big bowl and my scent was blowing over top of him.

I basically take every precaution to make sure the deer don't know im around.

15. 90acres

90acres Senior Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    I don't because my fields are in a bowl and the wind constantly is swirling. I don't think I get winded, but if I never see or hear the deer, I'll never know.

16. dompeters84

dompeters84 New Member

Jun 10, 2008
    I never used to pay attention to it. Now i live by it. I have seen twice as many deer now that i hunt the wind.

17. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

Mar 1, 2005
    St. Peters, MO
    I don't care about the wind one bit because I hunt the thick stuff where the wind constantly changes and deer can come from any direction.

18. goosekilla

goosekilla Senior Member

Dec 9, 2008
    west of STL
    You probably unknowingly spook a LOT of deer in your thick stuff.

19. deerhunter365

deerhunter365 Active Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Salisbury/Marceline
    i dont pay much attention to the wind unless it is blowing like it is today. Then i just stay in bed:wave: