Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just returned from 3 tours in iraq and finally after 4 yrs get a chance to do some missouri bow hunting. but now that i have no more land and no more farm, i was pushing around the idea of hunting at cooley lake. i did about a morning of scouting and didnt come up with much.

does anyone hunt there or do i just need to brush up on my scouting skills???

·
Registered
449 Posts
Welcome to the boards and thanks for your service.... I am sure someone will be on shortly that will be able to answer your questions, myself I am on the other side of the state from you.....

Good luck and thanks again :cool:

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
It may be too close to a lot of people for there to be many deer (AKA....may be hunted out since its 'in' KC).

I SLAYED some monster frogs there back in the day, but that's the only hunting I've done there.

Parker

·
6,644 Posts
I am originally from Orrick, but I don't know that much about Cooley Lake anymore. Way back when it was always packed during season to the point you didn't want to drive past on the hwy, but I am not sure anymore. I will check into it and see what I come up with. You might want to check the MDC website also for add'tl info.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Welcome back, glad your home safe. It was hot over there wasn't it, I don't miss it. I know of a couple good conservation areas around my area, Bunch Hollow, Poose, and even Grand Pass if you have a bike. You can check them out at MDC web site. I would have to through in Yellow Creek as well.

Thanks again for your service.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks, ill look around and see what i can find. goin early in the morning to try to throw some mineral down before work and hopefully set up a nice doe this weekend if not a buck.

·
337 Posts
I dont hunt there, but have hunted around KC for a few years. Got back off my deployment 2 years ago, and hunt all around here. There is a conservation area north of Richmond about 3 miles on 13 Highway that has good numbers. I will see if I can find the name of it. Also just South of the Missouri River on the East side of 291 there is some land you might want a mountain bike to get back there. I hunt Generally North at Platte Falls and around Smithville Lake. I am sure that Polo is too far but there is some decent land there to stick a deer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
just returned from 3 tours in iraq and finally after 4 yrs get a chance to do some missouri bow hunting. but now that i have no more land and no more farm, i was pushing around the idea of hunting at cooley lake. i did about a morning of scouting and didnt come up with much.

does anyone hunt there or do i just need to brush up on my scouting skills???
I hunt cooley every year its not overly crowded but I black powder hunt first day out this year saw 2 different 5- 6 points 2 does 3 turkey and a coyote Nov 13th 2021 so there are plenty of deer you may not get one every year there but they are twice the size of ray County deer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts