Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

Who here has elk hunted?

6K views 60 replies 35 participants last post by  HarvDog 
#1 ·
Have you hunted elk, how often do you chase them, if you haven't ever hunted them, do you plan to give it a whirl? Feel free to share any pictures.

Myself, I had the pleasure of chasing them in CO one time , say 10 years ago. What an amazing 4-5 days of hunting and I never drew the bow back. I would like to go again and need to probably get after it sooner than later.

#2 ·
I went about 8 years ago for an 8 day trip I pulled the bow back on a cow second to last day but didn't let it fly after realizing I didn't have a clue where I was. Saw lots of critters and had a couple close encounters with bulls but never worked out. I wouldn't mind going back again myself.

#8 ·
Someday I hope to. Every time I sold a house I told myself I was going to spend some money on an elk hunt but ended up buying other toys or property and never went. Now my kids need to get a little older before I can go. Also the work thing I only get 3 vacation days that time of year so that makes it tough.

#9 ·
Been twice got close but didn’t close

Putting in for points in two states

Probably start buying a spike/cow in Utah regular next year

Like you headed out for Muley this fall

Might go out in the spring and assist on a bear hunt

Waking up on the mountain is always a good day

But those screaming bulls are just better

Reactions: 20'
#10 ·
I had the opportunity and money to go to Colorado in 2015. I don't send in for points and I figured it would be the only time in my life I would go so I spent the money and went with an outfitter on an over the counter tag. I did a lot of research when looking for an outfitter. I thought if I'm going to go I want a good chance that I would come back with a bull so going with an outfitter was the best option. Had a cabin to stay in. We hunted 10,000 acres of private land that bordered public land. My buddy and I were both successful. I would love to go again.

#11 ·
It's still on my list of things to do, but every year I get older, I wonder if I'll still be able to make it happen.... Need to get it on the books, or it may just never happen. Problem is, I love hunting mulies so much, I just keep doing that. :D

#12 ·
I haven't hunted mulies, but I cannot imagine it would compare to elk...but then again you're not too into turkeys....a bulging elk is something special.....a fella of your means, give a a try, you won't be disappointed!

Like you mentioned, we aren't getting any younger, so I better make it happen sooner than later!!

#13 ·
Some of the Muley hunts, have been a lot like some Elk hunts..... Any spot and stalk type of hunting, where you are likely to see a lot of animals over the course of the day, is just plain fun.

There is a bunch of different ways to hunt Elk, not just calling them like you see people doing on TV shows... That style makes for good tv, and I am sure it's a blast. They guys I hunt Mulies with, have their best Elk success by setting up blinds on water holes. But, it's in the high dessert part of Montana, not the mountains. Missouri Breaks area.

One of the reasons I have kept my Matty, is for a future Elk hunt.... :D

#18 ·
Been going 30 some years,elk hunting is addictive,but honestly with buying points and getting them built up and then having experience of never elk hunting. I will give yah some advice. The mountains are crowded with novice hunters.The mountains are turning in to a timber box ready to go up on flames with all the dead spruces . If you have to wait up to ten years to draw a tag then never killed one. My advice is go guided on private ground, spend the bucks :D and have the hunt of a lifetime or really do your homework.
Me I'm pretty well made up my mind on going guided private ground hunt for next year and trying a new state.

#21 ·
This is prezactly my thought. I'd rather spend a little bit of money, and go kill an Elk, cause I may not get to go again. So, if I go, I want a pretty good odds of actually seeing, and killing one. I am not worried about killing a monster, no place to hang a head like that anyway. :D

Reactions: fishshooter
#19 ·
I’ve been twice. Had pretty crappy luck both times. First attempt my gf got ran off the road by a semi night before opening day, so instead of leaving for my hunt I got to spend the next week with her in the hospital and dealing with insurance/ buying a new car etc. in retrospect, I should have just went hunting.

Second time I was in the middle of buying a repo house from the bank and they waited til about the third day of elk season to finally counter offer, so I ended up having to head back home to deal with that crap.

Between those two tags I think I hunted a total of maybe 9 days. It was awesome though. Nothing like a big bull screaming in the timber first thing when the sun comes up.

I’ll be going into next years draw with 10 or 11 bonus points so I should be able to draw a pretty good tag

#25 ·
I've been 5 times. Once with a rifle (first time), twice with a bow and twice with a muzzleloader.

Always in Colorado always DYI. Last time I went was 5 years ago. I've never killed one. Had some close encounters but wasn't able to seal the deal.

Headed out to Idaho for a seven day hunt two weeks from tomorrow to try it again.

Reactions: combatmedic
#27 ·
I went 7 times from 1994-2001. Had a lot of great times. Got 2 5x5 bulls and 3 cows in that time. Then back got all missed up so no more Colorado for me. Was some of the best times as we would go up 2 days before season and still for at total of 13 days. Archery only for us.

#28 ·
Maybe we should get a Missouri Whitetail crew together!

I’d love to go but don’t want to do it solo and am too cheap to pay a guide. My hunting partner is a teacher and will never be off work during the season. I will figure it out one of these days. I am going to start doing some backpack hunting for whitetails to get myself more prepared for a western hunt in the next couple/few years.

#31 ·
Maybe we should get a Missouri Whitetail crew together!

I'd love to go but don't want to do it solo and am too cheap to pay a guide. My hunting partner is a teacher and will never be off work during the season. I will figure it out one of these days. I am going to start doing some backpack hunting for whitetails to get myself more prepared for a western hunt in the next couple/few years.
We did that on a muley hunt in Montana and it was easily one of the most awesome OOS trips I've ever been on.

Reactions: reitzs
#29 ·
In my mind there is no hunting better than an elk hunt.

Ive been a handful of times. Always DIY in Colorado. Id go every year if the group of guys I go with would.

#40 ·
Put a hundred lbs on your back and go climb the biggest hill you have will cover most backpacking trips . Outfitter with horses unless you can do that . I don’t think I would go without my mules . But then we may plan Northern Wyoming two years. Not sure I want to leave the mules tied in grizzly country.

#41 ·
Been twice and will be snuggled in my tent at 10,600 two weeks from today, barely able to sleep from excitement. First time was with some yahoos, but my first hunting trip in the mountains. Was amazing. Went in 17’ and had a nice bull at 200yds. Missed twice before realizing my scope was literally rattling loose on my gun from being packed in the scabbard wrong. Super disappointing! We are renting llamas and hiking in 6 miles in Colorado. Season opens on my 40th Bday. Saving points in Co, Wyo and Nevada. Buddy just sent me a video of a big 6x6 screaming at them, but he’s bow hunting and couldn’t get a shot. I’m absolutely gonna have to start bowhunting while I save points in Colorado for the ML hunt.

Reactions: reitzs
#42 ·
Been once year before last on a last minute guided trip to Co, hunted ML season. My buddy and I were both successful, planning on going back in a few years. Going to hunt same area with same outfitter just do a drop camp it is about half the price of guided. Nothing like a week in the mountains, only thing missing from the hunt is oxygen.

#43 ·
Just thinking out loud here but I wonder if there is a group like the bunch that puts on the Honor Flights for Vietnam Veterans to D.C. for a visit to The Wall? Maybe instead of D.C. a visit to Colorado (or any other Western State that has elk) for a hunt for an elk and call it "Honor Flight For Elk"? I'd gladly take the Elk trip over going to "The Wall" in D.C. Most of those Honor Flights cost nothing to the Veteran.....just wishing out loud.:innocent:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.