whitetail success?

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by southjerseyarcher, Feb 17, 2006.

1. southjerseyarcher

southjerseyarcher New Member

Feb 17, 2006
    southern new jersey
    new jersey hunter looking to bow hunt missouri this fall. which part of state would be a good starting point for success? any advice appreciated!:cheers:
  2. MObuckman

MObuckman Active Member

Nov 27, 2005
    There's a lot of deer near Columbia, that's where I want to purchase some land

3. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

It seems the reports of the highest deer numbers are north of I70. Are you looking for outfitters, or taking the public ground route???

4. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I agree.. not to assume that you dont know about missouri but most of the successful row-crop land is north of I70.. born and raised there. I would consider leasing in the north if its an option. Plenty of public ground too though...
  5. go south of the river there are not very many deer at all north of the river and all the big ones live in the bootheel
  6. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

Why Missouri? lots of good deer in Kansas, Iowa, Illinois. Michigan etc etc etc

just curious

7. Now we all know that aint true. There aint nothing down here but a few toe heads.
  8. northmobigbuck

northmobigbuck New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    Carroll County Mo
    I know around here where I live they are 2 great spots!!! Poosey and Bunch Hollow
  9. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

SJA, most any part of Mo would be decent hunting, but as you probably already know, north of the river is a good bet...for quality and quantity. Good luck!!!
  10. D.R.N.18

D.R.N.18 New Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Like Mobuckman said, alot of deer around columbia. I currently attend college there and have hunted it for 7-plus years. One of the easiest places around to score on a skinhead, but there are also several nice bucks running around. I would have to say that the brusier bucks are easier to hunt north of I-70. There are plenty of big bucks in central Missouri, but tend to be a little harder to hunt. There is a great state park in Maryville, MO that supposedly holds alot of big bucks.
  11. semohuntingguy

semohuntingguy New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    southeast mo.
    yea as rocko said just a few toe heads unless someone has some info they would like to share about this great cotton ground we call the bootheel
  12. Crappie

Crappie Slab Master

Yeah yo guys there aren't any biguns down here. Hunt north of I70
  13. grimreaper8

grimreaper8 New Member

Sep 23, 2005
    the south is the best. definately go south, up north is bad, overhunted
  14. Yes stay away from north of the river no good deer here at all:)
  15. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

southjerseyarcher,,,as you may be able to tell, there is only 1 big buck left in south MO and them guys don't want to share him with anyone:rotfl::rotfl:

Seriously, there are areas where the deer hunting is good, all over the state. But "on average" the deer densities will be much higher in the northern agricultural areas. More deer translates to more of the mature variety of bucks. The north eastern side of the state has some quality deer, and decent deer densities, and is the closest to you.

Keep us posted on your progress,,and especially the outcome of your hunt.