Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, My name is Scott Walker, I am a resident of SW MO (Going to school at Pittsburg State University in Kansas), and I just had a quick question for you. Is it too late to possibly see Whitetail fawns still out and curled up motionless in the fields. I wanted to get some pictures (not rescue one, haha), and wasn't sure if it was too late to see them in this behavior or not. I will be up in the Kirksville, MO area in a few weeks (July 29th or so), would I be able to see them in the fields still or will they even have spots still?

·
5,632 Posts
They'll still have spots but they are much more independent now than they were a couple months ago. Not sure if you'll get too many exhibiting newborn characteristics of laying motionless in a field. I may be wrong. I'm not a wildlife biologist. Someone else will know better than me.

By the way, welcome to the site!

·
Registered
18,259 Posts
They'll still have spots, until the winter coats come on, but to find one motionless in a field will be gone. They're up and moving and playing like kittens. Shadowing mama, feeding, doing what deer do.

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
you might accidently find a late born one from the second rut but most will be getting around good they will have spots but won't likly lay still for you they will probley bolt like gresse lighteing

·
5,632 Posts
I would say NOT LIKELY.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well that's no good. I'm from Cedar county MO by the way. I'll go out tomorrow and hopefully get a few fawn pictures, post what I get..Just have to wait till next June on the baby fawns.

·
5,632 Posts
Hey, Scott, you oughta talk to our memeber DSG (DShootnstGentemn). He's from Cedar County if I remember correctly.

·
5,632 Posts
Scott, I guess by looking at DSG's latest pics, you might still be able to find some fawns bedded down where their momma told them to stay.

Good luck!

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,533 Posts
They're definately getting fewer. Here's a couple of different fawns I pulled off of a trailcam last week. The larger fawn was 7/8 & the smaller was 7/7. There's still some newborns, but not very many. I had 16 different pics with fawns last week. 1 set of twins.

Attachments

·
Registered
436 Posts
:eek: cool pics pinwheel

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.