Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

White or TC Omega???

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  ourway7 
#1 ·
I usually go by DF, so some might recognize me from other boards...I have muzzleloader hunted for numerous years, but still consider myself a novice...ready to take the next step and get a quality ML (been shooting spanish barrels, ready to let them be back up guns--boat anchors)...I am about half-way there to having enough dough for a stainless steel, thumbhole synthetic stock Omega...but I keep reading about your'alls love affair with the Whites...so, tell me...Omega...White???...if White, which one?...(we don't shoot much past 100 yards)

thanks
Dan

#2 ·
Well seeing as how I am a White fanatic I say WHITE!! You can go to Doc's site and contact him about maybe a Super 91 or maybe a M97. I do not like the Omega because of the small trigger guard. I like the White because I can shoot 20 or more times with big pure lead conicals like these
and not clean between shots. It is also very accurate.

Jack

http://www.whitemuzzleloading.com/

#4 ·
The omega is a great gun I had one I used this year! I had good luck with it cleans up fast and shoots good.

Never shot a white so cant say much about them except that everyone that has one loves them.

#5 ·
Getting bullets for the Whites can be a bit of an issue. Last Saturday I shot a squibb(fouling) shot and 4 shots with sabots out of my White Bison(.504) with 80grn. Pyro P. Didn't have to clean between shots and with open sights at 50yds the group was a tight 1&3/8". Keep in mind that I've not shot open sights on anything but a pistol in more than 5 years. At 50 with eyes that have been flash-burnt more times than I should admit, that ain't too bad. Would I buy another White? I do intend to if for no other reason than I think they are a good investment gun. Most of the time the first shot out of a mzldr will reduce your re-sale by 50% but not on the Whites. If you hold your water, you'll get back your money should you decide to sell it. Most of the people who are selling theirs are doing so to up-grade! One bit of advice would be to stay away from the Thunderbolt unless you've got some time to work out the problems with Doc White himself! Most of the time they are good guns but the T-bolt seems to be the most problematic of the Whites, from what I've heard and read. With that said, Doc will stand behind anything the White emblem is on, providing there isn't clear abuse or neglect. I've got a Knight Wolverine that is a tack driver in .54, an Encore that I need to work with in .50 and an underhammer that for my tired eyes is just alot of fun to play with. Up until now when I went to put meat on the table, I grabbed the Knight. I'm still working up a load for the White , but I already know I'm at the door and that is after 4 shots at the range. If I were to do it all over again, I'd go with the .451 cal. if I could find one, as there seems to be alot more people who are casting for the .451 as opposed to the .504. The thing to do is to try shouldering an Omega and if at all possible try one of the Whites. I like a shorter gun and length of pull, and Doc was happy to accomodate my lop and I chose the Bison due to it's 22" bull barrel! You can pull out the breech plug in the field without taking the stock from the gun or dropping the trigger. There are alot of things I like about my White. I think both guns are very well built. I don't think you'll be terribly un-happy with either one but don't fall for all the hype about 209 primers and such. The #11 is still an excellent ignition system for loose powders and the loose powder is still the cheaper way to go. Hope this helps, 1madjack:confused:

#7 ·
"The thing to do is to try shouldering an Omega and if at all possible try one of the Whites. "

What he said. Personally I wouldn't buy a car without a test drive and I usually won't buy a gun without picking it up and shouldering it first.

#8 ·
It is all personal opinion and mine will be somewhat one sided because I have only owned and shot a Omega,but I would venture to say you would be VERY HAPPY w/ an Omega.....

GOOD LUCK....

#9 ·
i also went with the white bison, and must say that it is the most well balanced gun i have shouldered yet. and a shooter at that!

dont worry about the 209 primer. just rws 1074 caps for me!

#10 ·
Thanks for all of the information...my son, being the scholar I never was, simply answered for me and suggested both...get a White now and then put the Omega on our next purchase list...got a keeper there!!!

So, after exchanging a few emails, I have a money order waiting to be sent and hopefully, within the next week or so, will be holding onto my new White Lightning!!!

#13 ·
comparison

Well can't speak for the Omega, But I can for the white. Until now I bought just about every ML'er out there with the exception of the cheapies. It wasn't till I bought my white that.
Had I bought it earlier, I could have saved boo coo bucks. As others have said it is well within the 200 yard shooters, no cleaning between shots, loads fantastic. Knock down is terrific. I have a 504 Super 91. Using 460 no-excuse bullets, can consistently shoot 1" grops at 100. Of course Thompson also has a good name. So I really couldn't see you going wrong with either. Good Luck Lou

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.