Whiskey guys

Discussion in 'Giggles and Grins........... (OPT IN)' started by Cedar Thicket, Aug 25, 2014.

1. gurgalunas

gurgalunas Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    A good reason to save corks, and a few bottles too...

HEAVY likes this.
  2. HEAVY

HEAVY Active Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Congrats on joining the world of manufacturing.

3. Wooddust

Wooddust Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2003

If you will part with it, yes....Let me get past spray season. The ETL will be very welcome as we progress through our remodel project.....

I grew up west of Springfield near Pleasant Plains...Illini 75 Ag, wife was English Ed major. One brother still lives there and would escape if he could.

U of I has become absurd expensive. No doubt he likes Purdue being more affordable and a bit smaller.

4. gurgalunas

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    Ha! Small world. I grew up on south side of Springfield, just off the lake. Chatham schools, graduated HS in '89, college thru mid '90s for MS Biology. Spent a lot of time west of town, though. Hunted and had a cabin along the IL river. Drove toward Beardstown and Havana a lot, through Pleasant Plains occasionally...

Still no rush on the ETL. Let me know when you might be up my way.

Thanks. He hadn't joined anything yet except getting a summer job at Lowe's. One year under his belt... He did get a 3.96 GPA first semester, 4.0 second, so he should be able to choose whatever path he wants if he keeps it up. SpaceX has been his dream...

5. OutbackBio

OutbackBio Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Kansas City
    I got a bottle of Colonel EH Taylor bourbon for my birthday from a good friend. Haven’t opened it yet. Has anyone tried it? IMG_3574.jpg

jsr, HEAVY and beanpile like this.
  6. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

lots of people on here like it

HEAVY likes this.
  7. gurgalunas

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    Why don't you stop in once and awhile and participate? You'd definitely be up to speed on that one... :D

Yes, it's very good. So is the single barrel version, but probably not significantly enough better to spend the extra $ on it.

HEAVY and OutbackBio like this.
  8. HEAVY

HEAVY Active Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Yummy. I got two a few weeks ago. Cheers to your new drink.

OutbackBio likes this.
  9. gurgalunas

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    Just a heads up... EH Taylor released a 4 Grain bourbon last year, and it was chosen as "Whiskey of the Year" by one of the more influential guys in the business. I never got to taste one, but they are releasing it again this year. Only 2 releases will happen, so this one will be it. I think MSRP is $70, so it's a little steep, but if you enjoy the EHT bottles and come across one if these, you might think about it...

This will be one if the bottles offered for $300-500 once the flippers get it all bought up. It is starting to show up around the country, so just a matter of time before it hits the shelves in MO. It's likely to be handled from the back room at most liquor stores, so be sure to let any connections you have know if you are looking for one...

Another limited release due out is Old Fitzgerald Bottled in Bond 11 yr. Way high at $125, it is a well aged wheater and has a cool decanter bottle. Supposed to be a Spring and Fall release each year going forward.

HEAVY likes this.
  10. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

So I had heard a rumor our local Higbee distillery had bought some Pecan Trees to make Barrels out of. It sounded interesting but didn't think much of it. Yesterday a nbr dropped by and said he had taken his visiting son who liked Bourbon ( nbr is a beer guy) to the Saturday tour and tasting. I have been there and wrote about it. I wish it well but their product is just not very good mainly IMO of not ability to age and it is very pricey.. $25-$30 a bottle. Anyway the nbr said that they were giving out tastes of this "Pecan Whiskey" out of the barrel 138 proof I believe and the son said it was very smooth even at that strength. The Son asked if it was for sale and was told not yet but they had enough for a few hundred bottles uncut.. I'm assuming thats how it will be sold but when asked how much they were told in the $170 a bottle range. Good Lord that guy I would think will be sitting on that for a very long time at that price.

Has anybody else heard of Pecan Barrel Whiskey?

11. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Haven't heard of that, but hard to believe little ole Higbee Distillery is shooting for the moon. I doubt they will have many locals be able to afford it. With anything "different" you will get some people that want to try something unusual and may be ok with parting away some upper end money to try it.

Is the owner the same guy that makes the barrels and has the winery? If so, I think he has connections with some high end winery or even brandy/cognac producers via selling his barrels (original and re-purposed). At the right market, and with the bourbon interest very high right now, who knows.

12. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

GG I'm not too sure what to think of the Distillery. It does good business on the weekends they have events going on most weekends but yea even charging $25-30 for their regular stuff really blew my mind. There is a place in Moberly that carries their product and I was told it has not moved.

In regards to who owns what.. I draw a blank. I believe that the owner of the Woodsman Distillary also owns the Barrel making operation and I did hear that he had a good sale going to NAPA Valley. The Stave place across the road is owned by an independent guy. The Winery ( Coopers) has their own Distillery and their product is called "Skull Splitters" I have not tried that and not even sure if they have "tastings". 2 totally different clientele to be sure. The two distillerys have been in a pissning match for better than year about who owns what so they must of been partners then split up.. dont take that info to the bank tho.

Last edited: May 16, 2018 at 9:59 AM
  13. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Don't take my info to the bank either. It is third hand info passed along from well over a year ago by a guy I used to work with that visited the winery and got to talking with the winery owner. Eventually the winery owner took him on a more private tour and they sampled some high end wine. I remember something about the barrels used and where they came and went, again pretty impressive high end clientele. And again, hard to believe for little ole Higbee MO.

14. topwater15

topwater15 Member

Oct 30, 2014
    Yes I buy it everytime its available where i live. Dont see it very often.

15. HEAVY

HEAVY Active Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Found a bottle of 2003. Havent tried but it but I did get it. Haven't seen the JB distillers cut yet.

gurgalunas likes this.
  16. gurgalunas

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    The 2003 is considered one of the better years recently, congrats on that find! They are single barrel bourbons, so there will be variation from barrel to barrel The taste profile and # very good barrels seemed solid in that batch. I'm hearing that the current (2008) batch is pretty good as well. Its the first consistently positive reviewed one since the 2003.

HEAVY likes this.
  17. HEAVY

HEAVY Active Member

Mar 8, 2011
    This bottle had a lot of dust on it and was in the very back. Sometimes you just have to move stuff around and see. I may have to look for some 08.

18. frosty

frosty Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Sedalia
    Trying the Yellowstone tonight. Its good so far just neat. I would rank it up there with the Eh taylor for sure.

HEAVY and gurgalunas like this.