Whiskey guys

Discussion in 'Giggles and Grins........... (OPT IN)' started by Cedar Thicket, Aug 25, 2014.

1. topwater15

topwater15 Member

Oct 30, 2014
    Dang still have never seen this in real life haha W12

2. gurgalunas

gurgalunas Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    Well, I finished my wish list this week. I got the George T. Stagg awhile back, the Pappy 15 yr a few weeks ago, the Wild Turkey 13 yr. Friday, I got the call that my William Larue Weller was at the store. Think of Weller 12, but a premium version of it, and bottled at barrel proof. Got 2 of them, and gave one to the buddy that gave me the WT13. He felt like he owed me more, so bought me a bottle of Elijah Craig 18 yr. That finished the wish list...

When I started the fall bourbon search, when most great bourbon is released, my priority list was:

1. Stagg
    2. Pappy 15
    3. WL Weller
    4. Elijah Craig 18

Thought I'd be lucky to find 2 from the list at a reasonable price. Pulled off the whole list, plus the Turkey, and Rock Hill Farm. Damn... Time to do some drinking.

3. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Happy sipping. Tis the season. :tup:

gurgalunas likes this.
  4. gurgalunas

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    Fun experience today. We are in Park City, UT skiing, and set aside time to tour High West Distillery. Not the biggest distillery I've toured, and they really do their best work blending whiskey made elsewhere, but it was nice to sample their offerings, and good to immerse in that "distillery smell" again. 20180111_114128.jpg 20180111_112446.jpg 20180111_123012.jpg 20180111_115517.jpg 20180111_105832.jpg

5. BustinBucks

BustinBucks Shotgun Instructor

Jul 31, 2006
    Eagleville, MO
    I have 2 - 1.75 and 1 - 750mL of WL Weller sitting my my garage currently.

gurgalunas likes this.
  6. Cedar Thicket

Cedar Thicket Blonde Bearded Guy

7. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

anybody heard of a Yellowstone Brand Whisky? $36..new addition to our favorite Liquor store..wife took a test drink and said it was just "alright" but was searching for a more definitive analysis

8. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

I have her in search of a good $25-$35 bottle for the upcoming Ice storm,..leaning towards the Knob Creek 120 altho they are out of their PS.. Whats Old Forrester run?

suggestions before 4:30 please

9. doepee

doepee Senior Member

Sep 17, 2004
    STL
    I'm sure someone has previously reviewed Rowans Creek in this thread somewhere, but I had a bottle a couple weeks ago and I really enjoyed it for around $30ish. Seems to have a sweet finish.

beanpile likes this.
  10. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

yea Gurg did but all he said was good, almost Maple syrup taste in comparison),

11. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

Trying the $26 Bottle of Old Forrester..

12. gurgalunas

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    Dang, been on the run all day. Found the post at 4:35... If you are looking for a great (imo) bottle for around $40, try EH Taylor Small Batch. Ranges from $37 to $43 in KC. Not a common bottle, but usually not hard to track down. Good, oaky flavor like Weller 12, but a bit spicier due to the rye recipe (vs wheat). Every time I try the EHT, I always wonder why I bother trying anything else. But half the fun is trying new things...

Others I like in the price range are the Knob Single barrel, Four Roses (both small batch and single barrel), Henry McKenna 10 yr Bottled in Bond, Elijah Craig Small Batch (especially picks), 1792 small batch, Russels Reserve.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    beanpile likes this.
  13. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

Have tried the Knob Single Barrel but like you wanted something different

went with Old Forrester..forgot about 4 roses but wanted to stay below $35.. had several varieties of Woodsford Reserve but was just above price limitations..

14. gurgalunas

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    I've seen the Yellowstone around quite a bit. Seems like it is produced by one of the younger distilleries in KY. "Something" Branch? I think the whiskey in the bottle is older than the distillery, so it is sourced, probably from MGP in IN.

EDIT: Limestone Branch. It's 12 yr rye mashbill, 7 yr rye mashbill, and 7 yr Wheat mashbill. Not sure if any is distilled by Limestone Branch. Ive tried a number of other brands that are well aged MGP, and liked them, so its not a definite pass. Would be much higher on my list than any of the young Craft bourbons that have flooded the market.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Dmbecke likes this.
  15. gurgalunas

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    I tried it a year ago or so at a bar. Was comparing to Willet Pot Still Reserve, iirc. The pot still is a 4-5 year old bourbon, so isn't nearly as flavorful as older bottles. The Rowans Creek used to be a 12 year bottle, but they took the age statement off (You don't have to report age if at least 4 years old). Its undoubtedly still an older bourbon than the Pot Stll Reserve, hence the favorable comparison.

Willett (makes Pot Still Reserve, Rowan's Creek, Noah's Mill, among others) is currently going thru a transition, as they used to only bottle other-distillery-produced whiskey. They have now got 5 years of production under their belt, so are starting to incorporate that into their No Age Statement (NAS) bottles. If you find a Rowan's Creek or Noah's Mill bottle that is sealed with wax, buy it. It is an older bottle that pre-dated the NAS transition. They would be true 12 yr and 16 yr bottles.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    doepee likes this.
  16. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

Old Forester 100 proof review : really good

A its a 100 prrof
    B it has a certain Vanilla after taste
    C It's only $25

I will reevaluate my stance against drinking anything with "OLD" in front of it.

17. gurgalunas

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    I know Gamegetter is a big fan. I've not had the OF 100 proof (Signature?) recently. I have single barrel and the 1920 on my shelf and like both. The single barrel seems to have a cherry cola flavor to it.

Another "old" bourbon to try is Old Grandad 117. Pretty solid pour for $20-$25.

I blend a spectacular whiskey known by friends as "Grandpa Weller's 4 Grain". It's 60% Weller Special Reserve and 40% Old Grandad 117. Measure and pour into a decanter or old empty bottle, let it rest for a few weeks, and you get the best of both. Smooth, sweetness of the wheater WSR with a spicy bite of the rye mashbill OGD117. Each bottle used is in the $20 range, but the quality finished product you get is like a $60+ bottle... and you get 1.5L worth... btw, a 50/50 blend works too.

beanpile likes this.
  18. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

I was thinking last night about mixing brands and howd that go over.. abit scared to try it tho

19. gurgalunas

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    Yeah, it's a balancing act to get a good blend figured out because you want the end product to be better than the components by themselves. Mixing a sweet bourbon with a harsh or spicy one should make a good marriage. Good option if you ever buy a bottle that you don't really love. Figure out what you don't like about it, then add something opposite to counteract, hopefully using less expensive whiskeys to achieve it...

20. Wapit1

Wapit1 New Member

Aug 8, 2017
    IMG_0530.jpg IMG_0531.jpg
    Found this bottle the other day and figured it would be good since it had one of my dogs on the label! So far so good, lots of flavor w/ a little spice on the end. Might have to get a case