Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

4841 - 4860 of 4890 Posts

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
@beanpile it did mess a guy up.
Was on my way home and had a few, was talking and didn’t really pay close attention. Hope it is decent being the wheated whiskey

·
Part-time malcontent
7,078 Posts
interestingly enough the e-mail I got said 5 yo at 112.4..oh and @jsr you got the Wheated "Whiskey" ..where the Wheated I got previously and according to the e-mail the one at my store is a Wheated "Bourbon".

The tasting notes of the bourbon are more my cup of tea where the whisky on the other hand maybe not so much

that sure could mess a guy up if one were not paying attention
Now you’re making me wonder which one I have....

·
just a no body
14,286 Posts
@beanpile it did mess a guy up.
Was on my way home and had a few, was talking and didn’t really pay close attention. Hope it is decent being the wheated whiskey
and you had me going with the different ages and proofs.. I was like..wtf-over??? but then I recalled looking at the Old Elk web page a while back when I got the wheated BOURBON so I thought it best I revisit it AND the e-mail that I got just to duble check. I just hope the LS manager got the Bourbon vs Whiskey part right but being the age and proof differential I think he did.

·
just a no body
14,286 Posts
Ok got my bottle of my Old Elk BOURBON 5yo 112 proof. Its Draft night and I'm kinda NFL draft nerd so thought it a good time to try.
1rst try Neat with a couple minutes breathing time. On opening the bottle like BT or Widow Jane you certainly get the flavor notes..not this I got pretty much alcohol. It has a long warmth but not a burn which of course just fades away. For 112 Proof to me ..neat it's highly drinkable

2nd with a 1/2 round ice cube of distilled water..much better incredibly smooth. I could get hammered before I knew it this way.

Opinion: is it better that just the Old Elk Wheated 90 proof? at $65 compared to the $72 meh who knows if you like the higher proofs for the extra $7 sure but I'm more of a neat guy at 90 than an 100+ with ice guy. After Columbia Tax it was $78 and that hurt I wont buy a 2nd but thats because I'm cheap. This bottle will last awhile but it is certainly an enjoyable sip either way depending on on how you roll.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Went to a place in Jeffcity last night that a few of you mentioned a while back. Very nice selection and some decent bottles to buy also. They were defiantly proud of their price tags on anything different or hard to find.

Anywho, tried the Heaven Hill BiB 7 year. It was good and right up my taste profile. I can see why people bought this by the cases when it was 6 year for 15 bucks. The interesting part that I pick up was the smell in the glass when I was done. It smelled just like the rickhouse when I was there last. I thought that was pretty cool.

On a second note, I didn't think this was sold in MO.

·
just a no body
14,286 Posts
Went to a place in Jeffcity last night that a few of you mentioned a while back. Very nice selection and some decent bottles to buy also. They were defiantly proud of their price tags on anythingdifferentor hard to find.

Anywho, tried the Heaven Hill BiB 7 year. It was good and right up my taste profile. I can see why people bought this by the cases when it was 6 year for 15 bucks. The interesting part that I pick up was the smell in the glass when I was done. It smelled just like the rickhouse when I was there last. I thought that was pretty cool.

On a second note, I didn't think this was sold in MO.
what kind of prices did they have??

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
what kind of prices did they have??
One of the bottles for sale was 1792 BiB and they wanted $120 for it and Weller 107 was $120 also. Seems a little off to me but I'm assuming most of their high dollar revenue come from our taxes, it's probably spot on lol . 2 once shot of Eht single barrel was $60. Everything below that was a fairly normal price and they do 2 Oz pours instead of 1 or 1.5.

·
Vendor
62,203 Posts
This was good. I thought it was the wheated but I guess not?
20210417_123402.jpg

·
Registered
975 Posts
No, I don’t remember exactly but I think it was $45-$50.
I was just getting ready to ask if 48 plus tax was normal for this bottle. I found 2 today but wasn't sure so I left them there.

·
just a no body
14,286 Posts
They have several different versions they source from MGP. The standard rye bourbon mashbill, rye whiskey mashbill and Wheated bourbon mashbill. HyVee currently has a Wheated store pick I help choose.
I assume that wheated is KC's Hyvee only?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Picked up a Pikesville rye the other day and it was the first time that I have seen it around here. Tonight was the night for a tasting and man, I don't remember it tasting this good when we visited Heaven Hill, this is really nice.

The second pour I did a side by side with Eh Taylor straight rye. On the nose, Pikesville wins. On the pallet, Eh Taylor wins by a little bit. To me, the Pikesville has a longer finish. Over all they are both really good and I wish I it was easier to find these.
20210504_172237.jpg

·
Registered
21,058 Posts
Let us know what you think of it NoLuck. I know I like it.

Longbranch was long pour tonight. Celebrating the Wild Turkey and from whence it came. ;)

4841 - 4860 of 4890 Posts