Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

4801 - 4820 of 4890 Posts

·
just a no body
14,286 Posts
would you jump from an entry level Woodford to a better grade of Woodford, or jump to an entry level Buffalo trace? For instance.
JMO there is no such thing as an entry level BT or a "better" grade Woodford..its all about what your pallet likes. a "better" Buffalo Trace would probably be a Single Barrel where to some a better Woodford might be the Dble Oaked.

maybe I'm not understanding so I'll hope someone else chimes in

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Initially, I'd explore brands. They all have low, mid, top shelf offerings. Sticking with mid shelf stuff ($30-50) will give you a good idea of the brand profile without the off notes often found in the bottom shelf versions. Once you've tasted across the main brands, you should have a good idea of your preferences, and can start focusing in moving up-shelf in your preferred brands.

Good starters for the main brands are Old Forester 100, Makers Mark, Russells Reserve 10 yr (wild turkey), Elijah Craig Small Batch, 4 Rose's SmB, BT or Eagle Rare (if available), Knob Creek.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
would you jump from an entry level Woodford to a better grade of Woodford, or jump to an entry level Buffalo trace? For instance.
I prefer the Double Oaked Woodford better than their standard offering. Not sure its worth the extra cash or not. If you talking about $, I would try another brands at the lower cost point before moving to the higher cost ones. Lots of good bourbon in the $20-$40 dollar range. Old Forester 100, Elijah Craig small batch, Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey, Markers Mark, and so on.

·
Part-time malcontent
7,078 Posts
would you jump from an entry level woodford to a better grade of woodford, or jump to an entry level Buffalo trace? For instance.
Good info above. You’ll find a lot is subjective, and you’ll find your own wheelhouse. For instance- I find Wild Turkey 101 to be a very good whiskey at it’s price, but their ‘upshelf’ offerings have not wowed me so far. But take Maker’s Mark, it’s fine enough, but I will gladly (pay more and) go upshelf to 46 and Private Select. Wellers - I can’t find any of their upshelf to be able to say....

·
Part-time malcontent
7,078 Posts
Listened to some gobblers sounding off early this am. Sipped on some Wild Turkey neat tonight. A toast to the turkey gods.
I finally got to hear one last night while out fishing. The first gobble was just as I set the hook in a white bass.

·
Registered
21,058 Posts
whats some thoughts on stepping up to a "better" brand, vs stepping up to a better offering from a "lower" brand?
JMO there is no such thing as an entry level BT or a "better" grade Woodford..its all about what your pallet likes. a "better" Buffalo Trace would probably be a Single Barrel where to some a better Woodford might be the Dble Oaked.

maybe I'm not understanding so I'll hope someone else chimes in
Initially, I'd explore brands. They all have low, mid, top shelf offerings. Sticking with mid shelf stuff ($30-50) will give you a good idea of the brand profile without the off notes often found in the bottom shelf versions. Once you've tasted across the main brands, you should have a good idea of your preferences, and can start focusing in moving up-shelf in your preferred brands.

Good starters for the main brands are Old Forester 100, Makers Mark, Russells Reserve 10 yr (wild turkey), Elijah Craig Small Batch, 4 Rose's SmB, BT or Eagle Rare (if available), Knob Creek.
I prefer the Double Oaked Woodford better than their standard offering. Not sure its worth the extra cash or not. If you talking about $, I would try another brands at the lower cost point before moving to the higher cost ones. Lots of good bourbon in the $20-$40 dollar range. Old Forester 100, Elijah Craig small batch, Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey, Markers Mark, and so on.
Good info above. You’ll find a lot is subjective, and you’ll find your own wheelhouse. For instance- I find Wild Turkey 101 to be a very good whiskey at it’s price, but their ‘upshelf’ offerings have not wowed me so far. But take Maker’s Mark, it’s fine enough, but I will gladly (pay more and) go upshelf to 46 and Private Select. Wellers - I can’t find any of their upshelf to be able to say....
Good input above from your question. To me whiskey is kind of like coffee. Most people start out only "liking" it if cream and sugar is added (mixed with soda). Later they may start liking just the taste of black coffee (whiskey on the rocks or straight/neat) and after that actually start preferring different types of brands, beans and blends. Beer is another example of how different peoples tastes are. There is no shame in liking what you like and is readily available. Also, don't be afraid to revisit stuff later, that you previously didn't like.

·
just a no body
14,286 Posts
hard to go wrong with Knob Creek . I may have to buy me a bottle soon as it has been a while. My first dabble into Store Picks was a 120 Proof and it really set the hook in me

·
Registered
32,063 Posts
hard to go wrong with Knob Creek . I may have to buy me a bottle soon as it has been a while. My first dabble into Store Picks was a 120 Proof and it really set the hook in me
Knob Creek smoked maple.....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Missouri Hunting mobile app

Reactions: HEAVY

·
Registered
21,058 Posts
I had George ****el 8 and thought I would give the 12 a try. Supposed to be better but I think I burped a tree after every drink.
Lol. What have been your favorite so far and how did you like it poured?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I think the woodford is my favorite so far. Still looking for a whiskey that is a smooth as Jose Cuervo La Familia. But that tequila is not always available.
Another one to try is Evan Williams single barrel. It's low proof, but it has some good flavors and is still 7-8 year old bourbon. The only real thing I have against it is the finish, it's short and fades away pretty quick.
View attachment 219507

4801 - 4820 of 4890 Posts