Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

4781 - 4800 of 4821 Posts

·
just a no body
14,216 Posts
dove into what was left of the Old Elk Wheated I think I liked it better than the first time around and I really liked it then..not sure I can wait for the upcoming store pick to come before getting another bottle

·
Registered
20,994 Posts
Glad to hear you liked it Mike. Is it easier to find than Widow Jane?

Reactions: beanpile

·
Part-time malcontent
7,036 Posts
Went shopping this evening. Picked up an Old Elk, Maker’s Special Reserve, and some Buffalo Trace. Sipping the Old Elk right now. Watching Hemingway on PBS.

·
Part-time malcontent
7,036 Posts
94 proof. It's their double barreled version like the Woodford Reserve double oak and Old Forester 1910.

Which ECBP do you have? I buy those every time I see them and they are really good.
Forgot about this....sorry....

EF99F6EC-1D81-499B-B7E0-56EF3F783996.png

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
This is the bottle I took with us in the camper. Have you tried it yet? I was a bit disappointed. However, the freezer in the camper isn't the best. Might have had some weird tasting ice. Finished it, but kept thinking "I hope this gets better." Should have stopped and found something else, but never took the time. I usually really like BT. This store pic just wasn't one of my favorites.
I opened it up last night and gave it a run. It didn't seem to far off from any other BT that I have had. So I went and tried a different single barrel that I had open and it had a better flavor and nose. Not much of a difference but just a tad.

·
just a no body
14,216 Posts
@gurgalunas or anyone.. have an opinion of these ??
Our latest store pick single barrels have arrived. They are from Lux Row’s Distiller’s Collection. The first is from their Rebel collection. It is a wheated bourbon that’s at least 6 years old and clocks in at 113 proof. The second is from their Ezra Brooks collection. It is a sour mash bourbon that’s at least 5 years old and clocks in at 107 proof.

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
Our latest store pick single barrels have arrived. They are from Lux Row’s Distiller’s Collection. The first is from their Rebel collection. It is a wheated bourbon that’s at least 6 years old and clocks in at 113 proof. The second is from their Ezra Brooks collection. It is a sour mash bourbon that’s at least 5 years old and clocks in at 107 proof.
That EB sounds interesting. Awaiting the review.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I'm personally not a huge fan of Luxco stuff, even though it's generally HH sourced. They usually have younger product in the bottles than HH. That said, the Rebel and Ezra picks sell really well for LS. Good price point makes them affordable.

I get a young, grain-forward sweetness from their stuff. But that fits some palates. See if they have a sample bottle open...

·
just a no body
14,216 Posts
whats some thoughts on stepping up to a "better" brand, vs stepping up to a better offering from a "lower" brand?
interesting question but I think the terms "better/lower"needs to be defined. To me a "better" brand would be anything from Buffalo Trace where a "lower" would be Seagrams but there are some..maybe not on here that would switch that around

·
BDR529
12,445 Posts
interesting question but I think the terms "better/lower"needs to be defined. To me a "better" brand would be anything from Buffalo Trace where a "lower" would be Seagrams but there are some..maybe not on here that would switch that around
would you jump from an entry level woodford to a better grade of woodford, or jump to an entry level Buffalo trace? For instance.

4781 - 4800 of 4821 Posts