Whiskey guys

Discussion in 'Giggles and Grins........... (OPT IN)' started by Cedar Thicket, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    I got a bottle of Angel's Envy for my b-day I need to crack open.

2. HarvDog

HarvDog Bro Staff

Mar 14, 2010
    East Side
    Hennessy is our Hooch on the Mountain :)

3. KChunter

KChunter Senior Member

Makers Mark rocks or neat or go home. BUT, if you must mix, Jim Beam. No need to waste good whiskey by mixing it.

4. Vikestand

Vikestand Over There

I'm a Makers Mark guy, until they tried watering it down, and backfired. It's still good, but the principal of it all.

Honestly if I drink hard liquor anymore I get moonshine(the legit stuff, not out of a basement or convenience store crap) from a neighbor down near the Black River. Has a nice setup on a spring out of the hillside. It's not like the stuff we drank in high school that would solder your shoes to the ground. It's pretty smooth and good mixed with tea.

5. BradN11

BradN11 Senior Member

Dec 6, 2013
    NEMO
    if im mixing whiskey...im going Canadian and its 7 & a splash of 7

Wont drink anything related to Jim Beam (including Makers) since they sold out to the Japs!

6. HarvDog

HarvDog Bro Staff

Mar 14, 2010
    East Side
    Makers by the half gallon, with diet :cheers:

7. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Kentucky Tavern and Diet Dr Pepper. :wave:

Or Buffalo Trace on rocks with a splash of water

8. Shrapnel

Shrapnel Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Imperial MO
    We did the Buffalo Trace tour two years ago, you would be surprised how many "brands" are actually made there.

9. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    For the money, Buffalo Trace ain't half bad....

I can't imagine what KT & DDP taste like, and I don't think i want to know.:D

10. trapperBR549

trapperBR549 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2007
    mo
    You prefer sending your money to the Limeys?

11. BradN11

BradN11 Senior Member

Dec 6, 2013
    NEMO
    Yes

12. bluecan

bluecan Long time listener, first time caller

I don't drink Jim Beam either but it has nothing to do with the Japanese ownership, It has to do with the product, I'm not a Beam fan. There are several better bourbons out there in the same or lower price range. Including Four Roses and I'll go to Evan Williams or even Ancient Age before Jim Beam. FWIW, Buffalo Trace was a great bargain at $18. Now at $24 it is still a good bourbon but not as good of a bargain. I've paid more for worse though!

13. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Not a Beam fan here either, I just don't think it taste very good...

As for ownership, I can't keep track of who owns what. I rarely worry about that anymore... :shrug:

14. trapperBR549

trapperBR549 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2007
    mo
    Four Roses is about the best bargain out there in my opinion. Buffalo Trace is decent corn squeezins but a few bucks a bottle more than Four Roses and no better.

15. Cedar Thicket

Cedar Thicket Blonde Bearded Guy

Evan is by far my favorite bargain bourbon whiskey. It's always stocked at my residence :cheers:

16. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    eilitism knows no bounds.

17. bluecan

bluecan Long time listener, first time caller

Good to know, In case I run out!!! :cheers:

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Senior Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Greene county
    here is my list, buff trace, 4 roses, evan sour mash......if i want a bit better i'll get lexington, stetson, dickle 12.......its all good :)

19. MizzouFanMan

MizzouFanMan New Member

Jul 9, 2014
    This is pretty much the answer. Four Roses over Beam. Buffalo Trace is on par with Maker's. When you want to treat yourself, try Woodford Reserve or Blanton's. Elijah Craig was better than I expected.

I really do not enjoy Beam. If I'm mixing bourbon with anything, I'll go with Four Roses. Maker's gets an ice cube maybe.

20. Big L

Big L Trapper Groupie

Aug 8, 2008
    Bonne Terre
    Kentucky Tavern here as well,$12.50 a half gallon