Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

· Registered
20,349 Posts
I heard one last year..... nada this year.... Turks were really hammering up to about 40/45 mins ago... quite a few hens still with them here....

· Banned
81,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a bird strutting on the hillside that just wont come into the 2 hen and strutter set. Hes gobbling like crazy
Are you giving him the silent treatment ?

· Registered
2,132 Posts
I had a couple tearing it up near my setup awhile ago. It was nice to hear them. They don't seem as plentiful as they once were.
Definitely not as plentiful. Like most ground nesting birds the predators and some ill timed crappy spring weather are hurting them.

Wonder if any studies have been done to correlate the whippoorwill numbers with the turkey numbers?????

I can flat guarantee though when there was truly a good turkey population whippoorwills were as thick as white on rice as well.

· Banned
66,381 Posts
Definitely not as plentiful. Like most ground nesting birds the predators and some ill timed crappy spring weather are hurting them.

Wonder if any studies have been done to correlate the whippoorwill numbers with the turkey numbers?????

I can flat guarantee though when there was truly a good turkey population whippoorwills were as thick as white on rice as well.
We still hear several each year at our place but there are fewer than in the past it seems. They are migratory so the problem isnt just here. Much of their habitat has been lost on their wintering grounds as well. They are another victim of the "nothing has changed with our habitat" attitude.
Font Screenshot Parallel Document Number

· Banned
81,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
agreed not many around but they sure get loud when outside of your open bedroom window
I've had them set down near enough to me when I've been turkey hunting it almost hurt when they called. But I still like to hear them at a distance. :D

Reactions: beanpile

· Registered
21,512 Posts
I heard my fist one of the season just before our Granddaughter passed.

Use to have a bunch on our farm.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin has pretty voice.

· Under appreciated
93,225 Posts
The whippoorwills have been replaced by whiprichwills. Its a trump policy thing I think.

Reactions: Steelman
1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.