Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
White Board Man
14,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what everyones preference was on rest styles.

I will most likely be switching mine very soon. I have tried just about everything to correct my fletching rubbing my 2 Prong and after talking with HFFF, I might not be able to with my fletching having the offset it does.

I like some of the fall aways I've seen, , but I like the security with the whisker biscuit. Hoping to get some good constructive feedback here.

·
5,631 Posts
Here's my thoughts on a drop-away vs. WB.

Less arrow contact = Less chance for an unknown variable (friction, bow movement, etc) to mess up your arrow flight.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Originally posted by blevely
I like some of the fall aways I've seen, , but I like the security with the whisker biscuit. Hoping to get some good constructive feedback here.
you can have the best of both worlds...get a QAD ultra rest. it's a full containment dropaway rest. i love mine!

·
Registered
12,620 Posts
Like said, no contact with the arrow after release, and faster, no damage to the vanes. Granted, for hunting it may be a good rest, but for those that do more than hunt a drop away is better.

As far as the QAD goes, I put one on the Mathews and fired about 8 arrows. Half of which smacked the forks on the rest and tore up the vanes on 2 arrows. Needless to say my review for that paticular rest is not very high, several others I know have had the same results. Not worth the risk when that monster may be in front of you. Bodoodle got it for a good price and may be will to let it go.

·
Registered
18,249 Posts
I'm into simplicity when it comes to hunting and I think the W.B. is the text book version of simple.
I will say archery is a very personal sport and what works for me may not work for you.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
mobowman....i had the same problem when i got mine (not as severe, but minor contact). you just need to find the exact spot to serve the pull cord into the cables.

i put lipstick on my vanes and shoot. the lipstick will show up on your rest if you get contact. if i get contact, i move the pull chord up or down. the shoot again. them adjust the chord one way or the other. once you get it set right, no more problems...

it was kind of a pain, but i just really like the idea of a full containment dropaway.

·
White Board Man
14,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep I know everyone is different and has different likes and dislikes. Just wanting to get a feel for what ya'll use and why so I could weigh the pros and cons of each and make a little more educated guess on which one to try .

Thanks for all the input guys:cheers:

·
Registered
12,620 Posts
Originally posted by thh058
mobowman....i had the same problem when i got mine (not as severe, but minor contact). you just need to find the exact spot to serve the pull cord into the cables.

i put lipstick on my vanes and shoot. the lipstick will show up on your rest if you get contact. if i get contact, i move the pull chord up or down. the shoot again. them adjust the chord one way or the other. once you get it set right, no more problems...

it was kind of a pain, but i just really like the idea of a full containment dropaway.
I understand that, as in all drop aways it is important to get the cord in the precise position for best preformance. But with the QAD when the launchers are locked in the upright position, it relies on the velocity of the forward movement of the string to get the launcher to drop, this doesn't always happen, the launchers stick in the up right position and the vanes smack the launchers. Mind you, it doesn't always happen, but even 1 out of 20 is one to many for either hunting or target shooting.

Best full containment drop rest that I have seen, I don't own one but have seen many in use, would be the RipCord. Now remember this is just my opinion, others may have no problems with the QAD, but this one came off my bow real quick.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
OHHHH.....your rest never dropped...that is a huge bummer.

it definitely would've gotten rid of it then. so far, mine has never failed me. but i assure you, the day any rest does, is the day it comes off!!

but i have heard rip cords are also good...

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
If you like offset vanes, you won't want to go with the biscuit. It will be too hard on your vanes.

I use a Cobra Diamondback drop-away and I love mine. My boys use the biscuit on their bows but I have to change the fletching quite a bit. They shoot a lot of arrows. If I did a lot of stalking, I would use a biscuit. I hunt out of stands and blinds mostly, so I don't think total containment is needed. I used a Golden Premier TM Hunter style rest for 10 years with no problems, but decided to go with the drop-away so I wouldn't have to be sooo careful. My groups tightened up and I feel a lot more comfortable with my drop-away.

·
Under appreciated
92,881 Posts
Ditto that landlover..

I used to have a whisker biscuit and I liked it ok.. but it was he!! on my vanes and I agree with jmac on the contact deal.
If your shooting blazers straight or 4degree offset, you'll prolly be ok.

I use a dropaway now and I like it just fine, thanks.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
47,454 Posts
I have the Whisker Bisquit and have not had a problem with vanes coming off. Of course, that's after I learned to put them on properly. The lose of speed is not that great that it will make any difference. I like the fact that my arrows don't fall off the rest when hunting.

·
Your Local Know It All
7,020 Posts
Originally posted by MoBowman
Originally posted by thh058

I understand that, as in all drop aways it is important to get the cord in the precise position for best preformance. But with the QAD when the launchers are locked in the upright position, it relies on the velocity of the forward movement of the string to get the launcher to drop, this doesn't always happen, the launchers stick in the up right position and the vanes smack the launchers. Mind you, it doesn't always happen, but even 1 out of 20 is one to many for either hunting or target shooting.
That's what happens when you shoot the worlds slowest bow.:moon: Sorry Mike couldn't resist.

But in all truth I prefer the drop aways for sure. I can see the biscuit for a good hunting rest, but past twenty yards I think they stink. I've seen several bows with em tack drive at twenty yards, beyond that couldn't get a decent group to save their :moon:

BTH

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
I personally shoot a WB, but voted for the drop aways. I think the WB is one of the greatest things to happen to rests for strictly hunting purposes, and particularly those who do alot of stalking.
That being said...unless perfectly tuned it does have the potential to make an average hunter a terrible shot in crunch time. The drop away rests are so great because there is NO chance of interference once the arrow is released. Takes alot of bad possibilities out of the equation. I wasn't a fan for awhile, but with the new designs making them much more secure holding the arrow they are getting nearly impossible to argue against.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.