Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need advice on buying a new release. Its going to be used with a string loop, primarily for hunting. Im interested in the ones that connect the head with the web strap due to the adjustability.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I,m not an expert on releases or for that matter not on anything else. However I would suggest you take your bow to the sports shop and ask to try several different ones. I shoot a True Ball with nylon and velcro, but I know alot of guys that have been in this along time prefer a leather w/buckle as they dont make noise. I researched before I bought mine and suggest you do the same.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
I bought the primos 44 caliper, made by jim fletcher and really like it

·
5,631 Posts
I shoot a Carter Chocolate Addiction. It's not a wrist strap, it's a thumb trigger.

When I was shooting a wrist strap, I had a TruBall caliper release. Really liked it.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
i would recomend this one for you

NEW! Tru-Fire Hurricane Extreme Bow Release - Buckle Web

Tru-Fire Releases increase arrow speed and improve accuracy, providing a smooth, quiet, consistent release with every shot. Dual caliper jaw and 360° head rotation to virtually eliminate string torque. Super-wide mouth for quiet, easy loading - automatically open, load, and lock onto string! Hardened steel firing components with adjustable tension trigger pull. For right- or left-hand archers.
Jaws open when you depress the trigger and close when you let up. Uses a free floating, self-centering steel roller that doesn't slide over the jaws, but rolls along the inside instead. Heat-treated jaws and triggers are Teflon® coated for years of dependable use. Adjust for trigger pressure. Releases with a nylon Evolution buckle strap that's fully adjustable for length, 10 holes for a perfect fit, and a no-stretch buckle. Takes only 3.5 oz. of pressure to fire a 70-lb. bow. Made in USA.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
this is the one i have which is close to the same as the one above one with a bar rather than a strap to connect the head...I lke the bar and on this one you can screw the head in and out to adjust the lenth just like adjusting the web strap

Attachments

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
For hunting, I use a Tru-Ball Short and Sweet, has the nylon connection strap and instead of a caliper head, it is a hook. Seems to go on the D-Loop quicker for me.

For target and 3d, I won't use anything but hand held releases, a TruBall Trail Boss and a TruBall Sweet Spot Ultra II. Usually I have both of them with me, but shoot the thumb trigger release most of the time.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Originally posted by DShootnstGentemn
Frankly, I wouldn't recommend anything that wasn't a handheld release, so I guess that's all I can offer on this topic. Wrists straps are worthless in my opinion.
certainly you don't include my loesch wrist strap in that category.

but i do agree with you some what. but i think it is the method of firing that is the problem, not the release style. if the proper method is used to fire a wrist strap release, it is just as effective as any thumb trigger or rotation release. and likewise, the wrong methods can be used to fire a thumb trigger or rotation release.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
gmbellew,

Sorry, yeah I include yours in that. ;)

You are right about the method of firing. The caliper type release is the ruination of more peoples shooting than any one other thing in archery. Couple that with the fact that there is no way to maintain a solid anchor with a wrist strap, that makes them useless as far as I am concerned.

I for the life of me can't see the attraction to shooting a wrist strap even if they WERE as good as a hand-held. For hunting, when you are in the tree, you clip the hand held on the string and there it is, just waiting for you to pick it up and fire. Not all the hassle with straps and adjustments and working around clothing, all that.

It just don't make sense.

·
Banned
81,584 Posts

It just don't make sense.
It does if your awkward like I am and have dropped a T handle out of the tree as much as me:rotfl::rotfl:

( I considered at one time, tieing a 25 ft length of string to mine so I could just pull it back up when I dropped it)

:cheers::cheers:

·
Banned
81,584 Posts
Or should I say you are exceptional? :neuspeuter:

:hysterical:
If you did , you would be the only one,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and people would question your sanity:rotfl:

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
814 Posts
DSG -

if you include the loesch, you must not be familiar with it. go to truebacktension.com and check it out. it is not your daddy's wrist strap :rotfl:

the biggest reason i like a wrist strap because it spreads out the weight of the bow across my wrist instead of in my hand (i shoot 73 lbs at 65% letoff).

to find a consistent anchor with a wrist strap, you cannot grab the release with you hand. with the weight of the bow on your wrist at full draw, relax your hand and forearm. then tuck your index finger knuckle up under your ear lobe in the nook behind your jaw bone. your hand ends up being in a position more like the hand position of a handheld release, but you get the weight distribution benefits of a wrist strap.

and with the loesch, i get the benefits of an actual backtension release, and don't have to deal with getting a thumb barrel or rotation release to fire properly (gets tricky with relaxing this and that, but not too much because the release will fly out of your hand. but don't cheat it and just rotate it, or just smash the thumb trigger. it makes my brain explode :banghead: ).

for hunting, i don't have much of a problem with clothing in the way. but i don't see the difference in hooking my release on the d-loop and trying to straighten out and grab a handheld that is already hooked up the the loop. but everybody likes what they like.

i have nothing against handheld releases, but too many people think that they are automatically the answer to shooting problems. the problem is the method of getting the release to fire, not the equipment. i have seen people bunch the bejesus out of rotation releases. when you here click then bang, about a half second later, and it is a rotation release with a safety, there is a problem...

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Originally posted by gmbellew

DSG -

if you include the loesch, you must not be familiar with it. go to truebacktension.com and check it out. it is not your daddy's wrist strap :rotfl:
You are right, I'm not familiar with it cause I normally don't care about anything anyone has to say about a caliper release. I shot my first one wich was a "Fletcher" about 25 years ago. I shot an indoor 300 round with it the first time I shot it and scored 300X52 if I remember right. But I HATED that floating anchor point and the fact that you couldn't get a solid anchor, AND you had to use your finger to trip it.

I'll go check it out the ****** or whatever you call it out though. I'm willing to learn about something new.

Henry do you suppose this would be the first time someone on here questioned my sanity? :D

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
gmbellew,

I just went and checked it out.

First, I clicked on the "end target panic" tab. I'll remain suspicious of anyone who claims that target panic can be cured by a mechanical object, because it is not a mechanical problem. It's a mental problem.

The problem I see with the Loesch wrist strap that you mention is it won't allow you to transfer the weight onto the proper muscle groups to hold, aim and trigger it. Bernie Pelerite markets a similar caliper release which I have shot. I shot it fine. But again, you lose control of the process when you have that weight spread out on the muscles that you use with the wrist strap.

I'm not trying to sound smart here by any means. I've just got a little experience with this sort of thing, there are exceptions to EVERY rule. But the bottom line is, the best shooters "do" and always "will" shoot some sort of hand held, or back tension release, be it mechanical OR a plain old rope and spike.

:cheers:

·
Registered
814 Posts
DSG -

while i may not agree with their marketing ploys about ending tp, the release is quite effective when used properly. it works on the same premise as other releases fired using back tension methods. no release can cure tp, it has to be cured in the fundamentals of shooting. swithcing to a backtension method to shoot is usually one of the steps in that process. this release is just a very easy to use backtension release. but like any release, it can be misused.

i use my back muscles to fire the release. at full draw, i have my hand and forearm relaxed. i squeeze the safety off, and then increase the tension in my back muscles which creates a force that is in the direction my elbow is pointing. the tension in my back muscles transfers through my relaxed forearm and is directly applied to the release. i use the same method one would use to fire a rotation release or thumb trigger release, except i don't have all the other "hand mechanics" to worry about.

i am not questioning your sanity or shooting prowess, just the broad brush you painted over a particular style of release. the broad brush should be painted over a firing method, not a release style.

most pros use some sort of backtension method to shoot because it is the most consistent way to shoot. they happen to use releases that lend to that method of shooting. in most cases that happens to be a handheld rotation or thumb trigger release. however, some pros do use a wrist strap index finger release, but fire it using a backtension method.

so what about the loesch handheld model? :rotfl:

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.