Which bullet for deer

Discussion in 'Reloading Tips & Tricks' started by Satch, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Satch

Satch Senior Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Central MO
    My son will be shooting my .223 for deer hunting this weekend. Trying to figure out which will be the best load for deer.
    The three bullet choices are
    70 gr Barnes Soft point (yes they do make something other that all copper)
    60 gr Nosler Partition

62 gr Berger

He is a dead shot with the .223 and has practiced a ton.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. macon county boy

macon county boy New Member

May 6, 2009
    well i load 55 gr. nosler ballistic tips and they jus kill em but shot placement is important.

3. skull stacker

skull stacker Active Member

Sep 3, 2008
    SEMO
    Berger or soft point. need them to expand to 3 times the size.

4. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I'm favoring the Barnes...not because of the brand name but because of the soft point. IMO the other two choices are great for punching accurate holes but damage is needed especially at close range and some of the bullets won't open up in time unless the deer is out there past 100 yards.

5. Heeler75

Heeler75 Confirmed Bachelor

Feb 10, 2008
    Over Yonder Way
    I think you guys are selling the Partition short....It's a soft-point but just controlled expansion.

The Partition is not a paper puncher. It's a hunting round plain and simple.

If it were me I'd use the Partition. And if you look on some other hunting websites, it's a pretty popular load for a 223 for hunting. Well that and a 55gr Barnes TTSX.

6. skull stacker

skull stacker Active Member

Sep 3, 2008
    SEMO
    [rquote=1867661&tid=129999&author=Mailman]I'm favoring the Barnes...not because of the brand name but because of the soft point. IMO the other two choices are great for punching accurate holes but damage is needed especially at close range and some of the bullets won't open up in time unless the deer is out there past 100 yards.[/rquote]

X2

7. macon county boy

macon county boy New Member

May 6, 2009
    i have used a 60 gr. patition they work great, in 223 .

8. wolfgang

wolfgang Senior Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Springfield, MO
    The Speer 70 gr SP could work too, price isn't too bad.

9. Mule

Mule Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Franklin County, MO
    The 60gr Partition was my favorite until I learned that the Win 64gr power point is just as effective at half the price. I am talking bullets here, not factory ammo.

I have no experience with the Barnes or the Berger.

This year I will be using the Sierra 65gr Game King.

Be sure to give us a field report on Monday.

Best of Luck this weekend!:D

10. Ellis Prairie

Ellis Prairie Active Member

Dec 2, 2009
    [rquote=1867708&tid=129999&author=Heeler75]I think you guys are selling the Partition short....It's a soft-point but just controlled expansion.

The Partition is not a paper puncher. It's a hunting round plain and simple.

If it were me I'd use the Partition. And if you look on some other hunting websites, it's a pretty popular load for a 223 for hunting. Well that and a 55gr Barnes TTSX.
    [/rquote]

11. glennasher1

glennasher1 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    The 65 Sierra GKs are certainly accurate, I don't know how they'd work on deer, but I shot some in a couple of my buddy's ARs a couple of weeks ago, and they shot great. Also, we tried some 62 Barnes TSXs, that are notably good deer bullets, they were good shooters, too.

Given the choices, I'd probably go with the Barnes, as I've had some erratic results with GameKings in the past. They killed the deer, of course, but they did it "ugly", and I was unhappy with that.
    However, if $$ are important, Winchester DID design those 64 grainers especially for deer, and I've not heard any bad reports on them.

12. kevthebassman

kevthebassman New Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Eureka
    I'd go with the Nosler myself.

13. Satch

Satch Senior Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Central MO
    did some testing and checking on the Berger after shooting. Excellent varmint round, but would suck as a deer round.

Barnes gets the vote for this weekend with Nosler partition as backup.

The scientific method I used was filling up some 16 oz aluminum cans and shooting them with the son to watch them blow up. The Berger was rather over explosive, which led me to investigate. Entry hole on front and blow out on the front. No exit on the back. The bergers are designed much like the Barnes Varminator and pre cut on the front to explode on impact.

The barnes had nice entry on front and very nice exit on back and excellent hole through backstop before the log backstop.

Nosler performed well, just not as destructive. Did what it was designed for and made a nice hole.

14. Mule

Mule Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Franklin County, MO
    Is there an after action report?

15. Big John

Big John New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    Satch I am not nor will I ever be a fan of .22 caliber bullets for deer but if you must use one for that I would suggest the Barnes X bullets.

16. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    I dint see this post befor your sons hunt. But my son uses the Winchester power point 64 gr bullet in 223rem. Two deer now he has shot at and those two deer have dropped where they was standing and died.

You can get the rounds already made or get the projectile and reload it your self.

When my son shot his buck in the boiler room there was no exit 94 yard shot, when son shot his doe in the neck this youth season there was a exit wound 24 yard shot.

My son is 9 now and has been shoting that round since he was 5 years and 10 months old and hunting wiht it since he has been 6.

Just figerd if post this late incase you are still trying to find a good bullet for whitetail deer.

17. Satch

Satch Senior Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Central MO
    Went with the Barnes and he got his doe. will probably switch to the Barnes X bullet next year as they are performing great in the 25-06.

18. Mule

Mule Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Franklin County, MO
    Congratulations to your son. :claphands::claphands::claphands:

19. bgold

bgold Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Fulton, MO
    62gr TSX is a killer...my oldest daughter has used them with success.

20. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I loaded up some 64gr Win PPT's for my .223. Sposed to be a pretty good .223 deer killa.:wave: