Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchsed a Ruger American 270. I have not bought any rounds yet and I want to know if anyone has had found a favorite round that this rifle shoots best. I will not reload for this caliber (that may change) and want an over the counter, tight grouping deer round. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
13,802 Posts
How would we know?

If there were some way to ascertain that, then Ruger would say so in the owner's manual.

Just pick out two or three boxes of your favorite brand of ammo, and see which shoots better. Then stock up. There's no other way, no shortcuts, no way to get around it.

·
Registered
31,918 Posts
Like Glenn said, you could take 2 identical guns, one might prefer Remington, the other might prefer Federal.
If you know somebody else that has one got together and buy a few different loads since you will be able to tell which the gun likes in less than 10 rounds.
If you think you might reload them I'd pick brands with better brass, which means anything besides Remington. :D

·
Registered
228 Posts
My fiancée has the Ruger American 243, we've found that Hornady shoots a great grouping through her gun.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,037 Posts
My bet, Winchester power points or Remmy core Lokt's will shoot just fine out of it.

And, kill deer dead as they need to be.

·
Registered
31,918 Posts
My fiancée has the Ruger American 243, we've found that Hornady shoots a great grouping through her gun.
The last 6 or 8 guns I have helped people get set up and try different factory loads have all shot Hornady very well. It wasn't always a lot better but it was always at least as good. On at least one I can recall Hornady shot MOA and the next best was at least 2 MOA.

Like CJ said though, I bet either Rem or Win will shoot minute of deer and they are cheap and easy to find.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,037 Posts
The last 6 or 8 guns I have helped people get set up and try different factory loads have all shot Hornady very well. It wasn't always a lot better but it was always at least as good. On at least one I can recall Hornady shot MOA and the next best was at least 2 MOA.

Like CJ said though, I bet either Rem or Win will shoot minute of deer and they are cheap and easy to find.
And, that's the whole thing... Too many people over think their ammo. Heck, I do it, but I do it because I like doing it, don't really need to.

I would always say, determine what you want from your rifle. If all you care about is being able to kill whitetails out to 250 yds or so. Those "entry" level Winchester, Remmy or Federal ammo will do that, and do it well.

I reload, so that instantly makes me a looney for accuracy, but admit that shooting 1/2" groups isn't needed to kill deer in MO, and I don't need to shoot $50 a box ammo or bullets neither.:wave:

·
Registered
13,802 Posts
IIRC, except for some Win PP in .243, the only factory stuff I've ever killed a deer with, was Federal Premium, which I bought because I like Sierra bullets and Federal loaded Sierras in some of the loads (165gr. GKs in .30/06). I tend to favor my handloads over factory stuff, but Hornady makes good ammo and good bullets.

Just shop around and pick up some cheap stuff, some of it will shoot deer-accurate...................

·
just a no body
15,518 Posts
I'll echo what s the common theme so far and that's Hornaday. All mine & my wife's weapons shoot them best except for hand loads.

IF I were to not shoot the pre mentioned I usually have found Winchester Power Points are pretty good and good enough for deer

·
Banned
11,391 Posts
My friend just got a Ruger American 270 in the digital camo today. It's kinda cool for the lower price point :eek::

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Scope

I am putting a 3x9 Zeiss Conquest with Burris Signature Zee rings on this rifle. Buying and testing is the only way to fine tune. I was just trying to get feedback on what has worked for others and start with those 3-4.

·
just a no body
15,518 Posts
I am putting a 3x9 Zeiss Conquest with Burris Signature Zee rings on this rifle. Buying and testing is the only way to fine tune. I was just trying to get feedback on what has worked for others and start with those 3-4.
so your putting on a $350+ scope/ring setup on a $300 gun?.. eeeew K

welp whatever floats your boat but its better than buying a $600 rifle and putting a $79.98 scope on it.

I'm sure it will serve you well.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.