where's the gar?

Discussion in 'Fishing General' started by Bowkil, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Bowkil

Bowkil New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Ozark Plateau
    i thought i should post this on the fishing forum as more fishermen click on here than the bowhunting forum.
    anyway since spring is approaching and bowfishing is almost here i want to arrow a gar really bad! doesnt matter if its a few feet, or a monster. just want to get one. anybody know of any good places to go? i dont have a boat so ill be stalking the waters edge. anygood rivers or lakes? any places near Texas county? or around it?
    thanks

2. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

3. RB.

RB. Senior Member

May 16, 2003
    warren county
    Yep, they be the bow fishing guru's.

4. Bricky

Bricky Active Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Bonne Terre Mo.
    this is brokenbow OK.

[​IMG]

5. MoBowman

MoBowman New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    :eek::eek: Don't want to get in the water there, thats a man eater:eek::eek:

MoBowman ```--------->

6. RB.

RB. Senior Member

May 16, 2003
    warren county
    I think they shot that in Texas. It is posted on their site that GoGop posted above.

7. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    man now that is a fish
    what the heck do you do with a gar after you get it in the boat?

feed it to the coons?

8. Yep that monster was shot last year at lake Rayburn in Texas and is the current lake record from what I'm told. Keith and Robin are good people and full of usefull bowfishin' info.

As far as where to find the gar, look in the water ;). Just kiddin', sorta. Hard to find them during the day right now but last year about this time at night after a sunny day we've seen em on the mud flats at/in the mouths of the creeks on BS. Haven't been this year yet so can't really tell ya.

9. shooter22

shooter22 New Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Fort Scott, KS
    caplinger mills near stockton Mo is a bridge and water fall that people shoot from

10. Bowkil

Bowkil New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Ozark Plateau
    that sucker would go to the taxidemist if i shot it. money is not an object to me if i could mount that fish over my fireplace! my neighbors probably gonna take me on truman when the weather get better and show me the places. ill be packing my bow too. thanks. i hope to arrow one this year.

11. RB.

RB. Senior Member

May 16, 2003
    warren county
    According to Keith they eat the gar. I have had it deep fried and would not have known it was gar unless they told me.

12. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Bet that one wouldnt be too good to eat.

What a heckuva mount it would make though!!

13. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Any good piece of backwater should be holding some gar....also below dams, have seen some good 4 footers or so below Truman and Pomme both...Have also shot em in slough holes off the Mo river...

14. JBMan

JBMan New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Jackson
    if you wanna shoot a gar, then hit a tributary to a good sized river in the dead heat of summer.

the slack water that fireman described is the best because the gar will cruise right under the surface and come up to gulp air.

just arrowing a gar is a challenge ie make sure you have some pretty sharp tips on your arrows!