Where to look for mushrooms?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by deer_slayer, Apr 11, 2006.

1. deer_slayer

deer_slayer New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    High Ridge, MO
    I've never gone mushroom hunting before, but since everyone keeps talking about them and they sound like they are quite a treat, I am dying to try some. Where would be the best places to look for these? Near creeks, along ridges, around rotting logs? What are the types of things you look for to indicate an area might be a good place to start looking?

:confused::confused:

2. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    I've heard people talk about looking in the vecinity of a dying elm tree. ME? I just try to "wander around and look stupid" method.

In all honesty, though. They need moisture. Look for soil that holds water.

3. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Definitely not an expert, but I've heard the same things!

I forgot who posted this so forgive me my early alzheimers (maybe centerpunch?) but this is a dandy link for folks that exchange experiences.
    http://www.trailreport.com/cgi-bin/morels/morelreviews.pl?busid=missouri&business=Missour

4. Booches

Booches Member

Jan 8, 2003
    Columbia, Missouri
    I have a feeling the best place to hunt would be near weherever RiverBottomHunter hunts.

I'm no expert, but I think you can find them almost anywhere, so it's hard to say don't go to this kind of spot. I've never found one in the middle of an open field, but beyond that . . .

Early part of the season (this weekend), I'd look in timbered river bottoms now, and work up into the hills over the next few weeks. Under leaves, in grass, under trees. I saw someone on another site say he didn't think cedar patches were very good. I used to say the same thing, but I found the biggest mess I've ever found (which isn't realy saying much) in a cedar thicket last year while turkey hunting.

I would say at least a plurality of people would tell you to look for around dead elm trees. I'm never sure when I'm looking at an elm tree v. an ash tree v. some other tree with similarly shaped leaves, so I don't know.

Go into the woods, and if you think you've found a bunch, call me and I'll come over and look at them, take them home, and do an analysis to see if they are true morels, and then let you know.

5. MoBowman

MoBowman New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Thats a great little web site and you can learn alot from there. Also a good way to figure when the best time to get after em. Everyone loves to post their finds. We get some rain tonight like they are calling for, tomorrow may be a great time to start looking.

MoBowman ```----------->

6. PMan

PMan Retired

Dec 3, 2002
    Dont forget to look UNDER the May-Apples!!!!!!:wave:

7. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Sorry Mobowman.. couldnt remember who posted it. It is a neat site for shroomers!

8. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    I find most of mine along a river or creek. Some people say elm trees are the hot spot, but I find most of mine near maple trees. Another good spot I always find them in is right in the middle of the biggest tick infeasted, mosquito filled briar patch mixed with alot of poison ivy.
    I offer guided mushroom hunts but they aren't cheap and I have to blind fold you on the way to my spots.

9. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    The best thing to do is pretend yer lookin' fer sheds and you'll find shrooms.:cool:

Jack:D

10. MTRaised

MTRaised New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Grain Valley
    Plasticaman what's up with these may apples? I was told this the other day while out looking (for the first time ever). I was told find the may apples and you'll find mushrooms. I found a ton of may apple "groves" no mushrooms though. I did end up finding about 3 dozen all in one spot.

Here is another question: I found one place where they were about the size of a dime. Will they continue to grow and get bigger over the next week or once you see them that is as big as they are going to get?

11. riverbottomhunter

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    Thats as big as they are going to get. I have tried several time when I find some small ones, measure them, then come back the next day. They are always the same size.
    As for may apples many people say they find mushrooms near them, but I don't. Just find you a good creek or river and look along the bank. It's the best place to find them this time of year.

12. Roscoe Dog

Roscoe Dog Active Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Maryland Heights,Mo
    Guided mushroom hunts. Do turkey contest teammates get a discount?

13. riverbottomhunter

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    I'll give a small price break if team # 6 wins.

14. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Aisle 6 at the nearest price cutter :rotfl:

Kidding aside, ive always found mine the most of the time under may apples and near dogwood trees... good luck :cheers:

15. BIG OL AL

BIG OL AL New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    High Ridge MO
    Deer slayer, do you have land to look for them on? Or are you looking for a place?
    I have allways wanted to check out I-44 forest. Have found a few out at Route 66 park. Once we get a little rain they should start popping up pretty good.

16. I'm no expert but I find my fair share every year. Two important tips, use a basket and cut the mushrooms off with a knife about a 1/4 inch above the ground. The basket allows the flies to get off the mushrooms and keeps them from getting soggy and cutting them leaves any primordia in the ground (where new ones come from). If you insist, run out there with your plastic Walmart bag and rip them out of the ground, they're your mushrooms. When you get home, soak them in water with a little salt, this gets the rest of the flies out.

Spring has basically two species of mushrooms for the amature (easily identified). Morels and false morels. The false ones come up first and are poisonous to some people. If you find them they need to be cooked very well. It is reported that well cooking removes the poison. I have never been able to find them (around here they are called the red ones) but have been told to look in the bottoms. They look like morels but reddish and much more crinkled. Never hunt for button mushrooms or puffballs unless you are an expert. There are two deadly look-a-likes in MO, the detroying angel and the death cap. I have found both of these on my place...they do not come up this time of year.

The second kind are morels, black and yellow. Some mycologist claim they are separate species, others not. I start asking store clerks if anyone has been finding the red ones. When they start saying yes, I know it will be a week or two before the yellow ones arrive. At first they are a greyish color and small, probably because it is still not hot enough to grow to their full potential or they are a different species. Later as the nights warm up (they come up over night and you can see that warm evenings will help the chemical reactions) they are larger and more yellow.

As far as finding mushrooms it will be a trial an error process. No one will tell you where to go. I think if it looks good for turkeys and deer, it is good for mushrooms. At first every leaf and rock looks like a mushroom but now I can spot them a mile away. They first appear on southern slopes as they are the first to warm up. I also notice that the earlier ones appear around stumps, usually dead stumps, and are found in large bunches, i.e. find one, look around there carefully, you might be stepping on them. I do not agree about may apples, but they probably grow there. I do think the may apple fields are great for shooting turkeys :) I have found them around elms, walnut, and parsimmons stumps. Of course if we get a good soaking rain and a warm night, they will be popping like crazy. Now later on (in the next couple of weeks), they are larger and not clustered around stumps. I find many that are alone and in the timber. We tend to walk a grid like search. They will come up in the same place year after year. Be patient and think of it for what it is, hunting. You may not get a basket full but you will learn something about mushrooms. I can't imagine spring in Missouri without mushroom hunting, good luck!

When you can do this, try corels, blewits, and king boletes!

17. T- Bone

T- Bone New Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Wayne County Iowa
    Find a good batch of Maple trees and if there is some dead Elm trees there thats a plus should be a good spot. After a good rain and the sun comes out the shrooms should pop.

18. deer_slayer

deer_slayer New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    High Ridge, MO
    I have a place that I would like to look out in Wildwood (private land). I wouldn't mind checking out Forest 44 either. If you want to try and meet up sometime to go after them together at Forest 44, give me a shout. I could be there by 4:15 any weekday.