Where to hunt you wind guru's?

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by kc704, Nov 1, 2010.

1. kc704

kc704 Senior Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Missouri
    I didn't get out this afternoon due to the incredible lack of sleep I got last night at work, but I'm gonna hit it hard in the morning. Trying to decide where to sit. Looks like winds out of the NE at 5-10 mph. Can't decide if I want to go to my #4 which overlooks a bean field to the east, north, and south, and has the creek behind me to the west. I can also use the decoy at this location since that is where it is currently stashed. Or do I go sit in the timber? I could climb back up the tree I was in this morning overlooking the scrape or go hunt in #2 or #3 stands. I think the wind would be all wrong for #2, 3, and 5 though. So if you had to choose would you pick the timber or the fields? I doubt my scent will be much of a factor as I do what I can to be scent-free. I have undoubtedly seen more deer out of #4 this year then any other stand. I have marked on the aerial the location of my climber today with a C. It is in the oak flat next to the creek between #3 and #4.

[file]145300[/file]

2. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    I'd hunt where the does are.....most likely to be if the NE wind allows it.

3. kc704

kc704 Senior Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Missouri
    [rquote=1875049&tid=130610&author=archer66]I'd hunt where the does are.....most likely to be if the NE wind allows it.[/rquote]

That's what I was thinking. If I hunt #4 I can set up my decoy as a doe. Every morning that I've hunted that stand I've had does cross my path that I have to take to get to that stand and they haven't had a problem with my scent. I figured if I can get in there and set up the decoy as a doe then I wouldn't spook the does and the buck might be interested as well. Sucks that the wind will be carrying my scent to the timber that the does come from, but if I'm careful I don't think it'll be a big deal as they are more likely to come out of the creek bottom and my scent should float over that to the ridge west of me. And it is not as intrusive for me to walk to #4 as it would be for me to get that deep into the timber.

4. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    Not knowing how deer travel around your place makes it hard to suggest where to sit.....ya just have to play the odds and get yourself in the best spot the wind will alow....hopefully it's either a place where the does are hanging or it's a funnel where bucks will be cruising.

Tonight I had to sit a fairly low percentage spot because the wind was wrong for my best spots.....not that those have been very good so far in 2010.

Good luck tomorrow...

5. stlhawk

stlhawk Member

Jan 31, 2010
    I sprinkled some Doe P today on the trail in and every deer I saw came right to the scent... First time I ever used it. I guess it could be a coincidence.

Go where the does are for sure.