Where to go prairie dog hunting?

Discussion in 'Small Game' started by riverbottomhunter, Dec 10, 2017.

1. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    Looking for a spot to go shoot some prairie dogs this year. With work and coaching ball this summer it will be a quick trip and I won't have a lot of time to knock on doors to find free spots to go so if I need to get an outfitter I will. I have no desire to try and shoot them at 500-1000 yards. Actually I would prefer a spot I can get in a lot of shooting at 100 yards so I can do some shooting with my 22 mag.

Any ideas on where to look?

2. CRE10

CRE10 No to Drugs Yes to Hugs

Nov 18, 2013
    In a barn
    Lots of guides around Mission South Dakota. Unless you run and gun then you won't have many at 100 yards or less once you start shooting them. My favorite thing to do is walk and then sit down with a tripod and shoot a town out then walk to another.

3. bgctrading

bgctrading Member

Sep 6, 2010
    I went antelope hunting in ne New Mexico this fall and our guide showed us thousands of praririe dogs and said we or any of our friends could come shoot them for little I'd any money. Let me know if you want the contact info.

4. manitou1

manitou1 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Truman Lake
    I can't fathom PAYING a "guide" to shoot prairie dogs.
    I have seen areas with multiple prairie dog towns that would cover 2 sq miles of dens on public lands in WY and MT.
    I would get an ONx app or chip and head West.
    I know a guy that went to SW Kansas and knocked doors and had all the prairie dog shooting he could handle.

5. manitou1

manitou1 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Truman Lake
    If the US would ever get onboard with the Hunter's Hearing Conservation, I think a suppressed .22 could be fun. My tactical CZ 455 would be just the ticket.

6. riverbottomhunter

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    I have a crazy schedule and it will have to be a quick trip out. It sounds like it isn't hard to find a spot to go but I don't want to spend a day tracking down a place to shoot them.

7. riverbottomhunter

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    If someone were to start shooting at them at say 100 yards with a 22 mag or 17, how long do you think it would take for them to stop coming out? I never have been around them. Figure a 22 mag at 100 yards wouldn't spook them much more than a high power at 500 yards, but again I don't know

8. CRE10

CRE10 No to Drugs Yes to Hugs

Nov 18, 2013
    In a barn
    $100 a day and we average 1200 rounds in three days. Seems pretty cheap to me. Not much else you can do for 9 plus hours a day for that cheap. I figure it would take half day to a day to get permission and not even know if it were a good spot so that would add another day to the hunt adding cost to lodging, food, day off work etc. I look at the 100 bucks as not necessarily a guide fee, but access to thousands of acres on the Indian reservation.

9. riverbottomhunter

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    Bump this, still looking around

10. showmethejewels

showmethejewels Active Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Washington D.C
    Do not waste your time in South Dakota....the dog towns have all but dried up and they're putting black footed ferrets in the rest. Ya, you could go lay on the rosebud reservation around mission/cedar butte. But who knows what you're gonna get there

11. leasburg

leasburg Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2007
    South County MO
    the state of wyoming

12. Dafish

Dafish Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    St. Peters
    so bgctradings info fell through?
    might stop by your local gun shop and ask them. Every year the gun manufactures invite their dealers out to hunt Praire Dogs, usually in Wyoming. They may give you a name or 2 to contact.
    I use to shoot them in Kansas, it was 7 gates to the property the dogs where at. Then some of the land was sold and we lost permission through several of the gates

13. Buck

Buck Active Member

Sep 11, 2013
    Don’t forget to tip the outfitter

14. Maddog3355

Maddog3355 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Maries County
    Biggest prairie dog town I ever saw was in SD. They might frown on hunting them though. It is close to the Badlands in the park!!!!!!

15. BCarroll

BCarroll Active Member

Jun 29, 2009
    cass county
    Went to South Dakota a few times the place we went the last cpl times was a 100 bucks a day per person but that allowed us to stay in there old farm house and fed us breakfast and lunch we had to do dinner and we always killed plenty of dogs I thought that was a decent deal

Maddog3355 likes this.
  16. bgctrading

bgctrading Member

Sep 6, 2010
    He never inquired for anymore info I assumed he didn't want New Mexico.

17. DougC

DougC Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Independence
    Used to shoot a bunch over in Cheyenne Co. Ks, but that was around 15 years ago, so not sure of current status. Had no trouble getting permission though!