Where to buy plot seed?

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by reitzs, Oct 9, 2017.

1. reitzs

reitzs Active Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Springfield
    Looking to plant some winter wheat, rye, and maybe oats all mixed together at my place in Camden county this Saturday. It is only going to be about a half acre so I don't need much seed.

Any thoughts on where I should buy it in that quantity? I live in Columbia so anywhere at or between Columbia and Camdenton will work. Wondering if I shouldn't just grab something from Academy or BP.

2. t-tomshooter

t-tomshooter Senior Member

Apr 17, 2010
    deer county
    if you could find any mfa's on the way down would be ideal for wheat and rye

GTOHunter likes this.

3. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

You may have to make a choice and not plant all three. You would wind up with 150# buying a bag of each. Thats a bunch on a half acre.

4. reitzs

reitzs Active Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Springfield
    Ya. That's why I'm thinking I may have to end up with one of those "fancy" packs or two from a sporting good store.

This is more of an experimental plot than anything.

5. henry

I would forget the oats and do wheat and rye myself. About 35# of each or there about on a 1/2 acre.

6. nastyjack63

nastyjack63 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2006
    osage county
    Stockman feed or payway feed both in Jeff City may sell ww & rye by the pound. I know they sell turnips, rape, clover, etc by the pound. I just buy wheat by the 50# sack, it's pretty cheap so I don't care too much about buying extra. I bought 50# at Stockman's last week for $14 and bought bin run from MFA a couple weeks ago for $9 a sack.

7. reitzs

reitzs Active Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Springfield
    Thanks. If it's that cheap, I may just buy a sack and broadcast the extra on some of the skidder tracks from the logging.

8. reitzs

reitzs Active Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Springfield
    If I wanted to toss some ladino or red clover in there, is it too late? I ended up deciding against it last month because of the non-existence of rain and 85-90 degree days.

Beards-n-Spurs likes this.
  9. henry

Personally , I wouldn't sow clover this late.

10. t-tomshooter

t-tomshooter Senior Member

Apr 17, 2010
    deer county
    my sedalia mfa sells rye by the pound for deer hunters and a bag of oats is $5, heck pour the rest out you dont use for doves haha, and as far as clover goes its like $1.45 a pound for red or medium red so i wouldnt see why not giving it a go, if it doesnt work then your out a few bucks but if it takes and makes it through winter you got a great head start, im a half glass full kinda plotter and henry is a half glass empty:banana:

11. reitzs

reitzs Active Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Springfield
    Going to pickup the seed (wheat, rye and some clover) from the Columbia MFA over lunch tomorrow.

My plan is to use a leaf blower and rake to clear the debris from logging and leaf litter, then broadcast the seed (wheat and rye mix and clover in separate sections) with a fertilizer spreader, and then drag a pallet over it behind a 4-wheeler. Not ideal but it's the equipment I have.

How long do you think it will take to become munchies for the deer assuming it grows lol? I'm not really counting on it for rifle season. Mostly just doing it for habitat improvement and erosion control until I can get some perennial clover established next year.

12. swat1018

swat1018 Member

Jan 1, 2013
    LaBelle
    They'll be eating rye/wheat in a few weeks after it sprouts.

13. LovinTheHuntin

LovinTheHuntin Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Macon co.
    Went and got 100lbs of winter wheat today at mfa in Macon, $21.00. If you get proper amount of rain soon after throwing it out, you should have them eating on it by firearms season no problem.

14. reitzs

reitzs Active Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Springfield
    I hope the extended forecast changes because rain doesn't look likely in the lake area. It was supposed to rain Sunday morning but not anymore. We will just have to see what happens.

15. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    Clover's also cheap seed. All you've got to loose is a few $$$$. Go for it.

16. reitzs

reitzs Active Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Springfield
    Man. I did not realize how small clover seed is. What do you spread it with, a hand cranked spreader? No way that would work in the push spreader.

17. kcangler84

kcangler84 Senior Member

Apr 4, 2009
    South of KC
    It can be done with a push spreader but a hand cranked spreader is easier. You can also mix it in with your rye, wheat, or fertilizer too.