Where they been all winter?

Discussion in 'Turkey Photo Gallery' started by UrbanHunter, Feb 15, 2018.

1. UrbanHunter

UrbanHunter Well-Known Member

Weird. Every spring I get gazillions of turks. Somewhere around June, they disappear, and I don't see them again until Feb/March.
    This is a group of about a dozen. See them every day. turks2018.JPG
  2. Bloodtrail 1

Bloodtrail 1 Grand PooBah

Dec 11, 2007
    I have 0 turkeys on my place right now. I have lots of birds usually and since I'm still in a legal county, I have 3 corn feeders going now. All deer pics, 0 turkeys. Haven't seen one since November.
    I have no doubt we will have a good spring season, but none around right now! Weird.

3. huntnfool

huntnfool Active Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Central Mo
    Turkeys tend to winter up in certain areas this time of year. They will disperse as spring gets closer. Don't worry too much for now.
  4. techteacher

techteacher Land buying addiction Lifetime Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2009
    I have a farm we have lots all fall and winter come turkey season they vanish I wish I had your problem.
  5. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

For someone to see the big flock somebody else has to see none. Our flocks got together thru the fall and then all but disappeared later in the winter. Probably part of a huge flock on a crop stubble field about now.
  6. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Round us they disappear in September

They are there when I dove hunt

However Oct 1 there’s just a band of gobblers

And I really want the 3/4 grown ones to eat

Turkeys are a species I think only the Lord understands
    WBF and Hooks like this.
  7. Hooks

Hooks Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Down the bayou
    There are properties I hunt where there are always no birds at the beginning of the season and by the end of the season i can always count on them being there.
    The key to those late season spots are placed where the cattle keep the grass eaten down low, providing good strutting areas after other places are all grown up.
    WBF and rat like this.
  8. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Always purchase winter feed with corn or add it for the cattle . Turkeys love scratching through that mound of organic fertilizer to get to the grain!
    Hooks and Crappie like this.
  9. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Seasonal changes dictate a turkeys life. Bugs and acorns create big changes.
    Hooks likes this.