where did they go

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by MTRaised, Apr 26, 2006.

1. MTRaised

MTRaised New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Grain Valley
    Monday morning heard 2 gobblers quite a ways away. The gobbled on roost around 6 then never hard them again.

Yesterday and this morning absolutely nothing. I hope this weekend when it clears up things will get back to normal.

2. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    Went out scouting this morning looking for one for my fience tomorrow morning. Had one gobble is :ass: off. I don't think I have ever heard a bird gobble so much. Did a little sneak on him and got him to come within 30 yards of me. Now lets just hope he does the same thing tomorrow. But with these birds it is no telling what he will do tomorrow.

3. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Yep one day gobble their :ass: off and the next its like they lost their vocal chords and scared of their shadows..

down here in my neck of the woods, its mainly because of the ones ive came acrossed they be with the hens.. are starting to gobble more and more up in the day versus early..

4. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    "where did they go?"

Into the timber with girl friends.;)

Jack

5. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    :rotfl:

This just got me to thinking and laughing... i remember just before last deer seaon, like the night before it opened the geniuses at one of our local tv stations had a lil bit on the local news about the upcoming season... The best part and i quote from my memory.

"This year looks to be a tough season for deer hunting... The deer are going to be difficult to find because they are in the woods"

:hysterical:

6. semohuntingguy

semohuntingguy New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    southeast mo.
    hea i wish someone on here finds the answer heard 4 on sun not a lot but only 1 on mon 1 on tues only 3&4 gobbles is all so help me find out where they went to. Hope it is the ladies not the end of the season for them.

7. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    The bird I called in while scouting this morning came in all by himself. I think most of the hens in around here are on nest. Hopefully these boys are still looking for a little love for the next week or 2.

8. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    be my guess the hens have hit the nest hard and the boys are taking a break from all the fun and resting up for a few day to a week.then they will want some with vengeance. watch your back then and try not to sound to sexy:D

9. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    hey semo, whats up man... the bird i called in for my dad only gobbled on the roost and never again... seems they are all with hens where im at.. they gobble at first light to round up their hens and then shut up.. very frustrating

10. Mark Twain

Mark Twain New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    St. Charles
    Heard several on the surrounding farms Monday morning but the one on the farm I hunted was silent until he flew down. Then he got busy.

[​IMG]

I got him to double and triple gobble a couple of times but he wouldn't come any closer than 50 yards. I was bowhunting and needed him to get in with the decoys. None of the hens roosted or feeding near me made a sound either.

Yesterday morning I didn't hear a peep.

11. semohuntingguy

semohuntingguy New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    southeast mo.
    hea rebel hope they are with hens means they may want to look later, when the ladies start leaving to nest. But i will tell you this for every gobbler there is two out of staters saw plenty of them.Hope your season goes great even if i dont kill one i will have a great time chasing them.

12. Bear

Bear New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    three days of nothing,I haven't missed getting a bird on opening day in 12 years. All I've seen is a sinle hen or two walking through the woods. The friday before the season I called up a nice tom but he came in quite. Mann it was colsd this morning and is supposed to be worse tomorrow.

13. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Need some clear 'blue bird' days to really get them fired up about gobbling. Cfraz and I only heard 4 gobblers in the whole county today, and 3 of them came into our setup!

Parker

14. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    yep parker you be right........... seems like the last few months / weeks we've had a few days, but not consecutive, not enough to get em to the point to gobble at the car door slamming...

I do tend to think that it will get better as the season continues...

15. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    eother that or some good thunderstorms to get them going:sniper: