Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

When will MDC resume food plots on public?

3K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  MOGC 
#1 ·
Seems like ever since Covid hit MDC has drastically cut back their food plot operations on public ground. Seen several spots where they have given up completely and don’t even mow the trails. Now on year 2 of this lack of improvements. All that tax money they get, is it too much to ask for some standing beanfields or late season turnips to be planted again?

#2 ·
Cracks me up...MDC puts row crops in food plots on northern Missouri public ground that is generally surrounded by private fields full of row crops. Come down south to public ground. Dang few "food plots" and what few of those there are none of them ever have anything resembling actual row crops like corn, beans, turnips, ect. The few food plots in the Ozarks are devoid of anything other than native grasses that go untended for decades. Quit yer crying, you don't have any idea how good ya got it.

#3 · (Edited)
We all know them hogs would just turn all the Ozark plots up anyway. The only people I’ve seen that can get row crops to grow in southern MO is the Amish after years of picking out the rocks by hand.
I agree, northern MO is better hunting, and why I hunt public up there over my private southern MO farm. What’s stopping you from doing the same?

#15 ·
The place my son and I hunted for our managed hunt this year had 5-10 acre fields planted in turnips. Place was tore up with deer tracks and he killed one munching on one of them. I think it's part of the deal the farmers make in exchange for being able to plant the ground, they have to plant so many acres in cover crops.

Maybe it just depends on who manages the area in question? idk

Reactions: MO sportsman
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.