Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 170 Posts

· Banned
66,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems we are still in them if you go by adult gobblers shot per year... Every year since 2000 has been better than every year prior to 2000 with the exception of last year, which is proving (at least so far) to be a weather caused anomaly. Yes, the season got longer, but that happened in 1998 AND people only hunt so many days (just like people only shoot so many deer). Missouri hunters have a LOT of turkeys out there to pursue every year.
Azure Rectangle Slope Plot Font

Reactions: vonfatman

· Banned
66,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reactions: STTH and tcwild

· Banned
66,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good info do you know what the hunter success rate on adult gobblers is ?
Not a true one, no. Over that span there arent real solid numbers on actual hunter because of landowner tags. You can do it off of permit sales and get close but thats not all that accurate either.

From talking with the biologists theres a pretty reliable pattern of about 30% of hunters killing one male turkey and about 30% of those successful hunters also killing a second bird. So realistically even is we killed 40k and had 100k hunters only 30% were successful even though 100/40 would say 40% were successful....

· Banned
66,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Late 80s and 90s were pretty good
Our farm didnt even have turkeys during that time. Our county had just been restocked.

· Banned
66,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the last 15 year has been a steady decline, just as the 15 years prior to 2000 was steady growth.
Please circle the decline on the graph.....

· Banned
66,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wish they would trap some of those birds we helped stock up North and bring them back to the Ozarks.
The ozarks has more birds than the north does now.

· Banned
66,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

· Banned
66,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

· PURE KILLER
38,014 Posts
The last ten years has had major decline here in audrain where I hunted the same 350 15 years ago we would kill between 8 to 12 gobblers every spring. I didnt buy a tag last year but they did manage to kill one gobbler then. I walked it for two hours right before season, never cut a track,seen a feather ,or turkey crap. I did see where one had scratched one spot in that time.
Now I talked to them yesterday and they have not seen or heard a turkey on them or adjoining properties yet. As little as ten years ago you would have heard couple of dozen. Nothing has changed same woods,pits, fence rows etc,except there are noTurks.
I believe I seen two Turks last fall deer hunting. They had put feeders out all winter in Hope's of drawing some birds in.

Reactions: Beards-n-Spurs
1 - 20 of 170 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.