Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, when is the best time to spray cattails in missouri? I read that July is the best time and have also read that when they reach 18-24" is good. Got a small watering hole that holds cattails in it and looking to kill em all whether it happens all this year or next too.

· Jenny's Lackey
47,885 Posts
The smaller the plant, the easier to kill. But if they've been there for a long time, it's going to be an ongoing battle over a couple years. Next winter, burn off the dormant cat tails so it's easier to get chemical to the newly growing shoots.

· Grrrrrrr
30,190 Posts
Ive got a small pothole...ok...its my lagoon....lol. Cattails showed up in it about ten years ago. I sprayed them with roundup mid summer after they’d been established for a couple years and they were burned back real good. The next year there were some that came up and I sprayed them again. Roundup kills not only the visible leaf but it kills the rhizome too....I assume I had some new ones come up the next year because I didn’t quite get everything sprayed good or because some of the rhizomes hadn’t put enough shoots that broke the surface.

1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I plan to spray within the next week or so and then hit it again when I spray my plots in the summer. I figured it would be a couple good round of spraying over a couple years to get rid of it.

The hole has been neglected over the years. The growth has been cut back on the small damn, hoping the decay doesn't cause it more problems. Only were 2 trees of concern with the decaying roots. Now to get rid of the water sucking cattails as they are covering the area all the water is at, bout 20x20 area at its average level. Probably needs dug out but it serves its purpose as it is. Just hoping to retain more water.

· Registered
21,443 Posts
Ive got a small pothole...ok...its my lagoon....lol. Cattails showed up in it about ten years ago. I sprayed them with roundup mid summer after they'd been established for a couple years and they were burned back real good. The next year there were some that came up and I sprayed them again. Roundup kills not only the visible leaf but it kills the rhizome too....I assume I had some new ones come up the next year because I didn't quite get everything sprayed good or because some of the rhizomes hadn't put enough shoots that broke the surface.
How's the duck hunting in your pothole?

· Under appreciated
93,225 Posts
As soon as you have appreciable green foliage you can spray. To do it right, you will need to use a glyphosate formulation that doesn’t have surfactant built in and use a non-ionic surfactant added. It’s always helpful to read the label :)
If you message me, I can help you out.

· Jenny's Lackey
47,885 Posts
I was impatient when I cleaned up our pond a few years ago. I rented a mini excavator & dug them out. I had tried the spray route with rodeo & non ionic surfactant, but it was taking too long for the amount of cat tails we had. I had resprouts, but they were easy to kill with rodeo. Looks like I'm gonna have to spray again this year, as we're getting some new sprouts again.

The added bonus of digging them out, 2 years after the fact, the red eared sunfish were making spawning nests in all the craters left over from digging them out. Haven't seen that kind of nests in this pond for years.

· Under appreciated
93,225 Posts
Don't do it all at once, I know someone that did and it didn't turn out so good for the fishy's
decomposition of lignins and plant matter is an oxygen-consumptive process and if you have enough decaying plant matter, it can severely deplete O2 levels suspended in the water, which fish need.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.