Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
You'll notice little fraying starting, that isn't much to worry about, just keep it waxed good. When the fraying starts getting bad, like into the strands get that sucker replace. It's cheap insurance.
Some guys go by the replace it at least every couple years deal, but a string can be good for longer, or sometimes not as long. Just depends on how much you shoot and how good you take care of it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I try and wax it once a year, just got done giving it a good wax tonight. Yeck, I just got the bow out of the case tonight <g>

WHen waxing it, just rub it in good or should I use a hair dryer to get the string warm?

·
Registered
8 Posts
advice

Just a bit of advise, I would change every two-three years especially if you practise quite a bit.

A friend of mine has pushed it and about every 4 year his string breaks when he releases. This is risk that should not be taken.

The money saved by pushing it is not worth the potential damage to your face, etc that could happen if the string breaks.

·
Registered
12,626 Posts
I wish I could go that long on a set of strings and cables. The amount of shooting I do, it has become an annual thing. New set every spring.:D For those that are interested, I know a guy that can make an awesome set of string and cables and deliver them for less than $50. Colors also. Pre streached and your choice of material, 8125 or 452x. Every bit as good as most of your major string makers.

·
Registered
12,626 Posts
Originally posted by keithk
What it cost roughly to have a string replaced?
That just depends on the maker. Winners choice strings will run between $80-100 a set. Others in the $70 range. Mathews Zebra strings run about 40-45 for the string only, no cables.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
hair dryer???

Originally posted by DShootnstGentemn
Hair dryer or get you a little piece of leather and rub it in, the friction gets it hot and works the wax in the string.
Usually, I just rub it in good with my fingers.

If you do decide to use a hair dryer, be careful not to get the string too hot, you will end up with some string stretch and peep rotation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.