Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never been out shed hunting and this year I'm going to try it. When do they start sheding? Thanks for the info.

·
Under appreciated
89,826 Posts
I'd say right after bow season ends would be a good time to start. May be a bit early, but at least you wont risk bothering anyone still hunting.

·
Horny D
5,645 Posts
SHEDHEAD says Super Bowl Sunday, I'm more inclined to take his advice on this particular subject...:cheers::D

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I try to stay out of my private spots until march so I don't disturb the deer. Does it make a difference I don't know but in my mind it does. Public spots I'll walk once every week until march then sometimes twice a week depending on my schedule.

Of course you could just not worry about it and let me and my hope to be trained shed dogs pick em up! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
They start shedding any time after the first of the year. But its pretty sparse picking until early february.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
actualy they start shedding in december.2 years ago i found a matched set walking a trail to my stand and right before dark had an 8 pointer come through and skirt my shooting lanes and watched him drop both his before he walked off.every year you hear about guys shooting deer they thought were big does but are actualy shed bucks.you will allso hear the guys that shot bucks and poped the racks off while trying to drag them out:D granted not many of them shed that early but there are some that do i usually start shed hunting right after bow seasons done

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I shot a nice buck last year around thanksgiving and when it fell after the shot one antler fell off and the taximermist pulled the other side off when I took it to him

·
Registered
18,570 Posts
Antlers dropping in December is far from the norm up in my area. I would wait till Feb before I started looking unless you are feeding them and have bucks coming in often to your bait.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Worse thing is,you can get very burnt out goin too early and finding nothin.Especially if ya don't do it much.
But then again,if ya wait too long someone else might find them.Or a squirrel.

The 2nd week of Feb. has ALWAYS,CONSISTANTLY been good to me.And that's W,NW,Ncen. and central parts of the state where I search.

·
Registered
69,798 Posts
Since I have my game cameras up all year long I just watch the head gear on my bucks. Once I see one missing I go try and find it.

Finders Keepers!:2thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts