When to come back after rifle season?

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by blong, Nov 9, 2010.

1. blong

blong Senior Member

Nov 26, 2008
    I am toying with the idea of coming back to nw mo. sometime after rifle season. There are alot of beans on the ground and some corn. When will the deer be on the food or when is the 2nd rut. As many does as we saw, there is no way that they will all get bred the first go round. There will be 2 people hunting the property the 1st week of rifle then it wil be left alone again.

2. mohunter32

mohunter32 Senior Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Franklin Co, MO
    I'd come back as soon as possible. But that's just me. I like to hunt.

3. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    Depends on how much pressure you get around you, last year I had a rough go even seeing deer during shooting hours for 2-3 weeks after the gun season.... having the 2 week long doe season right after 2 weeks of gun season doesn't help. :wave:

4. wildbill

wildbill Senior Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Warrensburg MO
    The more time in the woods, the more deer you will see, can't see 'em from the couch!

5. gentleben

gentleben Active Member

Sep 9, 2010
    STL
    The does will come into estrus 28 days after the first time if they didn't get bred. Anytime is a good time to hunt, but if u catch em late season, they will be back on their feeding cycles. When it's cold or snowy, you find the food and you'll find the deer.

6. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    i would suggest coming back about feb 1st the deer get really active about then..........:D sorry some some had to be a bogger face and do it

7. blong

blong Senior Member

Nov 26, 2008
    [rquote=1887489&tid=131496&author=Wings Fan 19]Depends on how much pressure you get around you, last year I had a rough go even seeing deer during shooting hours for 2-3 weeks after the gun season.... having the 2 week long doe season right after 2 weeks of gun season doesn't help. :wave:[/rquote]I did not know yall had a 2 week doe season. When does it run? I think I may try to black powder hunt Dec. 18-21.

8. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    The firearm antlerless is from 11/25 to 12/05.:mad2::mad2:

9. Brian_J_BT_MO

Brian_J_BT_MO New Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Bonne Terre, MO
    I would consider the blackpowder season but I am a little biased to hunting in mid December. During this time last year there was snow on the ground in much of Northern Missouri and the hunting during muzzleloader season was awesome.

10. blong

blong Senior Member

Nov 26, 2008
    [rquote=1889083&tid=131496&author=Brian_J_BT_MO]I would consider the blackpowder season but I am a little biased to hunting in mid December. During this time last year there was snow on the ground in much of Northern Missouri and the hunting during muzzleloader season was awesome. [/rquote]Your gonna get me divorced!:D

11. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    Thanksgiving, I say as soon as your next tag is good get after it!

12. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    whenever really...the deer dont pack up and move away because of rifle season. theyre still out there

13. blong

blong Senior Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Just talked with the 2 landowners and only one buck and 3 does were shot this rifle season on over 1000 acres. No one saw the big 8 I shot high so I feel like I need to come hunt the blackpowder season and look for him.

14. letemgrow

letemgrow Active Member

If you have a good food source, its hard to beat the ML season. You could see 50+ deer on a food source in one evening with high deer numbers.

Sounds like you need to pop some does off the farm too if there are that many. I am gunning for 8 does alone on only 140 acres and my neighbor that has 270 acres is going for 12. :cheers:

15. blong

blong Senior Member

Nov 26, 2008
    [rquote=1909109&tid=131496&author=letemgrow]If you have a good food source, its hard to beat the ML season. You could see 50+ deer on a food source in one evening with high deer numbers.

Sounds like you need to pop some does off the farm too if there are that many. I am gunning for 8 does alone on only 140 acres and my neighbor that has 270 acres is going for 12. :cheers:[/rquote]The farmer really dislikes the does because they have babies and wants me and a friend to come help him out.

16. letemgrow

letemgrow Active Member

[rquote=1909118&tid=131496&author=blong]The farmer really dislikes the does because they have babies and wants me and a friend to come help him out.[/rquote]

Sounds like a free ride to get trigger happy to me then. :D