Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was muzzleloader hunting at Marshall Conservation Area today and was watching over an idle hay field. Around 3:30 I caught some movement to my left. I pulled up my binos and watched a brown, grey, and fuzzy white thing, which looked a lot like a deer’s ***, slowly wind through the tall grass. Then a smaller one followed behind, moving slowly to the north west.

The big one would disappear and reappear occasionally and I didn’t see the small one again until they broke out from the field. Right into the path of my muzzle, exactly where I thought the large one would step out. But it wasn’t a deer. It was a man wearing a brown and grey fur parka with white fur around the hood. He stopped to wait for his son. His son was probably 4 and wearing a camouflage jacket, with no orange.

I walked out to meet them. He greeted me with the standard “Seen anything?” I replied “I saw a buck this morning and I was fixin to shoot you or your boy because you look like a ****ing deer and you’re not wearing orange.”

That’s when I noticed he had a scoped deer rifle, not a pistol or muzzleloader. I told him there’s at least 6 other guys hunting around here and he should put some orange on him and his kid.

He claimed that they were squirrel hunting and would go hunt from the northern lot. I called the conservation agent and the KC office, but I guess they were off today because no one answered and the office was closed.

My hunt was ruined. I was shaking with adrenaline from the conflict and that I just had my muzzle aimed at the area he was stepping into. I was so sure he was a deer. I was looking for vitals. The shape, the color, it was all there. I needed to think about that more, so I left early on the last day.

·
5,625 Posts
sounds like you did the right thing. I have never deer hunted public for deer so I am sure that this happens. When I was 11 our hunting ed class watched a video and it was exactly like your scenario. Its understandable to be shaken up about it but you did the right thing

·
Registered
642 Posts
6 guys packed into that crackerjack box.....sounds like a great time.

Urban public hunting areas.... next time your at the local urban Wal-mart remind yourself some of these characters could be in the woods with you packing, bad enough I have to share the roads with them.

Same area a couple boys were walking down a gravel road at sunset and one was shot not to long ago during rifle season.

·
Registered
18,518 Posts
So glad you did positively ID the target and it is a reminder for the rest of us.

That's why I wear an orange hat at the very least when hunting public even during bow only season.

·
Registered
21,210 Posts
Glad you were able to figure it out. The guy is a knucklehead for putting himself and the youngster in harms way, however you would have ruined a lot more than your day if you would have made a bad decision also.
The mind wants to gain closure, so it makes some assumptions. I had a very similar experience many years ago turkey hunting with my brother. Long story but very similar to yours and thankfully the trigger wasn't pulled.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Great post. There is absolutely zero excuse to EVER mistake a human for a deer under ANY circumstances.

And they make these little things that you carry on a strap around your neck called binoculars. They keep you from having to use a scoped rifle to examine and evaluate a potential target.

And the fact that several of you are empathizing with this BS frankly is frightening.

·
Registered
6,876 Posts
Big creek conservation area at the edge of Kirksville has a hiking trail running thru it . A FEW YEARS AGO I WENT THERE IN alternative weapons season . A family came by on the trail. It was not long before they were getting the heck out of there.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Yeah that's just great. The big bad deer hunter intimidating others on public land. Others who have every right to be there.

Making deer hunters proud ........

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Yeah that's just great. The big bad deer hunter intimidating others on public land. Others who have every right to be there.

I really doubt Hazel run them off, he's not that kind of guy. They probably realized or he friendly told them that they were walking in a war zone.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And they make these little things that you carry on a strap around your neck called binoculars. They keep you from having to use a scoped rifle to examine and evaluate a potential target.
I mentioned that I used binoculars. He was walking through thick ****, looked rather deer like to me at the time. He had the scoped rifle.

·
Registered
21,210 Posts
Great post. There is absolutely zero excuse to EVER mistake a human for a deer under ANY circumstances.

And the fact that several of you are empathizing with this BS frankly is frightening.
I agree that binos can usually clear things up real quick. I wear them pretty much on every deer, elk and turkey hunt or scouting expedition I take.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

He didn't seem intimidated. He was poaching, using a big bolt rifle out of season, pushing a bedding area, and not wearing orange to avoid being seen.

Sorry for the salty comment. I thought I was being replied to.

·
Registered
21,210 Posts
PLH, he was talking about Hazel's post. And you forgot to add "squirrel" hunting in a tall grass field, just where a guy with a scoped bolt action rifle would expect to find a bunch of squirrels. :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
6 guys packed into that crackerjack box.....sounds like a great time.

Urban public hunting areas.... next time your at the local urban Wal-mart remind yourself some of these characters could be in the woods with you packing, bad enough I have to share the roads with them.

Same area a couple boys were walking down a gravel road at sunset and one was shot not to long ago during rifle season.
I live in St Louis and hunt on this side of the state when visiting family. I'm not familiar with all the public lands here. It was between there and Bee Creek. I will say that the interactions with other hunters here, excluding this one, have all been positive and seem much less dangerous than the dog running hillbillies I typically encounter down in Shannon County.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I mentioned that I used binoculars. He was walking through thick ****, looked rather deer like to me at the time. He had the scoped rifle.
But he wasn't the one who was pointing a rifle at someone because they supposedly looked like a deer.

But he "looked rather deer like." Brilliant. In the interest of others safety, please stay on small tracts of public land with few other hunters.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
But he wasn't the one who was pointing a rifle at someone because they supposedly looked like a deer.

But he "looked rather deer like." Brilliant. In the interest of others safety, please stay on small tracts of public land with few other hunters.
LoL, yep, that's why I cut out early. I haven't made that mistake before.

·
Registered
69,517 Posts
Stories like this can also happen on private land. Not just public land be it big or small tracts.

This thread alone will make a few of our readers think twice when hunting any game.

:tup:

·
Registered
6,876 Posts
I really doubt Hazel run them off, he's not that kind of guy. They probably realized or he friendly told them that they were walking in a war zone.
I was probably the first one they saw , i imagine they figured out quickly that the trail they were on was taking them past many funny orange monkeys carrying guns. They were not close enough to me to warn them , but it did not take them long to realize that hiking that trail that day may not be a good safe ideal.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts