Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[rquote=1560496&tid=108531&author=pinwheel]Anytime in the winter will work, but the old farmers say dark of the moon in Feb. I like ladino & red clover mix.[/rquote]
MFA sell that how much would that run for a couple acres?
brad

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
any time you can get over the ground, might we wary of standing water with all the rain, melting snow, and frost coming out of the ground, I never like to do it if there is puddles of water on the spot I want to sow it.

Toas, Mo, thats south of JC, right, my girls used to play in a
summer softball tournament down there, neat little town.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
Any time now will work. Last year I bought improved ladino for $4/pound and red clover was about $2/pound at the local MFA. Red clover is generaly broadcast at about 8#/acres and ladino at about 3-4#/acre. If I was seeding a mix of the two I'd go 5-6# red and maybe 2# ladino. Although all that I have mixed the ladino crowds the red clover out in a year or so.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Can ya'll tell me a bit more about frost seeding? I have some places that i was wanting to put clover but thought i needed to wait till spring to spray/disc and then plant. Can I just throw clover into it now or is that reserved for an already clear spot?

:cheers: nice post

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,469 Posts
[rquote=1563911&tid=108531&author=JrNation88]Can ya'll tell me a bit more about frost seeding? I have some places that i was wanting to put clover but thought i needed to wait till spring to spray/disc and then plant. Can I just throw clover into it now or is that reserved for an already clear spot?

:cheers: nice post[/rquote]

Spot needs top be cleared already. A good plan for next year would be to work the ground this year & treat with roundup. RR beans is a good choice, so you've got a plot & are killing weeds at the same time.

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
[rquote=1563911&tid=108531&author=JrNation88]Can ya'll tell me a bit more about frost seeding? I have some places that i was wanting to put clover but thought i needed to wait till spring to spray/disc and then plant. Can I just throw clover into it now or is that reserved for an already clear spot?

:cheers: nice post[/rquote]

Many farmers overseed pasture with clover seed. Granted, they typically use red clover, but it can be done. Not sure how well it would work with the white clovers. Be safer to do a little more preparation. But you could always just buy a few pounds, through it out sometime in Feb, and see how it does. Wouldn't cost but $10 or less.

·
Under appreciated
91,796 Posts
[rquote=1566056&tid=108531&author=JrNation88]what does the snow/frost do for the seed? do you just throw it on top the ground, even if its not broken and frozen solid?[/rquote]
The idea is that the freeze/thaw cycle will loosen the soil and the seed there will work its way down to a level good for germination.
MOST clover seed is so small that it doesnt need much burying but frost seeding seems to be a decent method.

Personally, with the seed so small, I just think its a way of getting a jump on normal springtime activities and gives you something to do in an off-time. :D
It works though so go for it.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
[rquote=1566056&tid=108531&author=JrNation88]what does the snow/frost do for the seed? do you just throw it on top the ground, even if its not broken and frozen solid?[/rquote]Frozen or thawed when you broadcast really doesn't matter. What you're after is freeze/thaw cycles to get the soil/seed contact for germination. It's nice if it is frozen or at least dry when you plant so you don't have ruts when you're done but not necessary.

·
Under appreciated
91,796 Posts
Oh... and seeding over a snow cover gives you an idea of the distribution of seed which is helpful when hand seeding so you dont get it too thick.
Just a few pounds per acre is not much so if you see a LOT of seed, you might be putting it down too heavy.
Nastyjack has some good seeding rates listed above.

:cheers:

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
[rquote=1566064&tid=108531&author=ratPersonally, with the seed so small, I just think its a way of getting a jump on normal springtime activities and gives you something to do in an off-time. :D
.[/rquote]

February is for chasing momma around the house:D The frost seeding seems to work well because the clover seed is so dang hard it gives the elements time to work their magic and get the hard seed softened for germination as soon as temps raise enough to start the process. I'm hoefully going to be seeding about 15 more acres with red clover near the end of february.

:cheers::cheers:

·
5,092 Posts
If you are going to seed it by hand than get one of the spreaders that has a bag on it and the plate that moves back and forth as you turn the handle. The brand name is Earthway. (most farm and home stores sell them) It does a really nice job on small seed like ladino clover. Get ready to do some walking. First figure out how far the seed is being thrown and that will give you an idea of how many feet to move over after your first row is completed. Do the whole field north and south and then east and west. I basically use the setting that throws the least amount of seed and go over it twice. I put in the amount of clover I need for the entire field and keep an eye on the amount of seed in the bag as I go to see how fast it's being used up. This tells me if I need to walk faster or slower. It's a pain but I usually get a good even stand by doing it the slow, dumb way. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
can clover be overseeded and if so what are the negative effects? (i think i may have done this in a plot i put in this early fall)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.