Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
let me first say that I can't see your posted pics...but

I think that if it were mounted that it would be hard to get positioned. At least it would be for me, I know that when I have used support sticks that they are hardly ever placed where I first imagined that they would have been, but actually to the left or right of my position.

But it is hard to say, it may work for you.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
My only question would be whether it is clamped to a treestand like in the picture or to your chair, wouldnt it pretty much limit you to straight forward shots? What if you took an adjustable shooting rest like I think I got at walmart last year, and modified it with some sort of pad for a base so you could rest it on your leg for forward shots and on the arm or seat of your shair for shots to the side? Just a thought.

·
19,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah ~ being mounted is going to limit the possibilities, for sure.

My real concern is wondering how sturdy it is. The steel(?) doesn't look that thick, if that is what it is.

Jack & I have been brainstorming on how we'd mount a rifle rest on my chair, for quite some time.

This gives me some ideas, anyways.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
See, I think that if it were clamped in position, then it would only limit you to one shot.....where if it was mobile and could be rested anywhere then the shot could be made. But I don't think that clamping it down would help anything unless you are sure that is where the shot is.....

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Dont know how feasible it is but if you could mount a shooting rail on your chair like some of the treestands have that goes all the way around you. Then you would have a shooting rest ready in all directions without having to mess with moving a stick or anything. If it could be rigged to clamp on, it could be removed when you werent huntin.

·
Registered
70,771 Posts
Chairman I have one that is just the stick by itself. I carry it with me while I squirrel hunt with my .17HMR. I have it locked into position at the standing heighth for me. I think with a little tweaking you could make it work. I use my left hand with my fingers wrapped around the barrel and the Y on the stick to keep the rifle and rest as one. Cuts down on the wobble.

·
19,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well ~ I'm not really a gadget person, but a sturdy rest is something I sorely need.

At the Truman Lake hunt last year, they had modified barber chairs, to shoot from. WAY cool...

Here's a pic of when Larry (the hunt coordinator) was showing one to me. I hunted from one, one morning, and it was neater than...well, you know what I mean. :D

Attachments

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,782 Posts
That rest wouldn't be that hard to build. Where you at? I'd be happy to build you a similar rest to the one on the barber chair. Wouldn't take much, just have to figure out how to mount it to your chair. I'm pretty good at stuff like that.

I've got a soft spot for guys in chairs, my dad lost both of his legs before he passed away. I got some ideas of how hard it can be.

·
19,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by pinwheel
How about just using a shooting stick?
Long story short ~ I shot at a 170-180 class buck, back in December '04. I was using a shooting stick, and it slipped, just as I pulled the trigger. I was testing a new type of blind they had at the Swan Lake NWR disabled hunt. It had a hard, thick plastic floor. Plus, the morning we arrived at the blind, we found ice had formed on the floor, but we cleaned it out the best we could. No matter, though ~ with freezing temp's, the floor would have been slick anyways...

Kind'a made me shooting-stick shy, ever since... :whinging:

·
19,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by pinwheel
That rest wouldn't be that hard to build. Where you at? I'd be happy to build you a similar rest to the one on the barber chair. Wouldn't take much, just have to figure out how to mount it to your chair. I'm pretty good at stuff like that.
Well ~ I'm not that close...but I do have wheels, and I'm willing to travel. :D

With the way the footrests mount to my new 4x4 chair, it wouldn't be that hard to mount whatever we come up with, the same way.

I'll have to take some pic's for you later, to show you what I mean.

I live near Truman Lake, on the North side, off of C hwy.

Attachments

·
19,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the link, Bowpredator! Purdy neat idea ya' got there. :cheers:

I don't know about the 26" width...sounds like it might be a bit cramped in there?

That's definitely something that needs to be looked at more in depth, though.

Thanks for the info!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.