Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My primary mouth call is an H.S Strut double D. Been using it for years and dont even try any others anymore. Sometimes I will buy their 3 pack which also has the Raspy Old Hen and I'll use it sometimes but most of the time, I have a Double D in my mouth. I also start with a new one every year. I never have been able to get one to sound worth a darn a year later no matter what I do and I figure they are cheap enough (specially if I catch them on an after season sale) that I just get a new one every year.

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
I use my tongue and the roof of my mouth while squeezing my throat - aint failed me yet.

God given mouth call...

·
Under appreciated
92,881 Posts
ol boss hen.. cause it reminds me of home.:wink:

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,486 Posts
Anything by HS Strut fits me well and will make a good call. I can't use Quaker Boy calls for some reason.

And I'm also in the club with Hayzer. When I don't have a mouth call in and a need one, I just let it rip la naturale.

Parker

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use my voice sometimes too but I cant get very loud with it. I mostly use it when they are in close and I want them to think there is a different hen there other than the one they have been hearing.

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Originally posted by Hayzer
I use my tongue and the roof of my mouth while squeezing my throat - aint failed me yet.

God given mouth call...
You sure it isn't your wiff squeezing yo throat?????hehehe

I like Primos calls...mouth diaphrams, and friction calls!!!!

·
Registered
561 Posts
I hardly ever use a mouth call anymore.. I just never really liked using them.. I was always a box call hunter it was just the way we did growing up.. My grandfathers neighbor made them near St James, Mo. So we just used his calls and then we couls talk about each one and why we liked the hunt... I now have a new found love for handmade striker calls from Parker...

oh yeah... my mouth call is the "Ole Boss Hen" by Quaker

·
Under appreciated
92,881 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but what, in YHO is the best instructional tape, dvd whatever, on turkey calling techniques?

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Rat...I don't have any favorites right off hand, but anything that shows a REAL hen doing the calls, is the best teacher...If you have some come in on your setup, listen to them, volume, cadence, etc. They will teach you better than anyone can show ya!!! Good luck to ya!!!

·
Registered
676 Posts
My favorite mouth calls include the Quaker Boy Old Boss Hen, Butski's Hen In Heat, and Butski's Cuttin' Caller IV. All of these are large calls, so they fit my big yap-hole better than other brands. I use the Old Boss Hen and Hen In Heat more in the spring to sound like hens, and the Cuttin' Caller IV in the fall to mimic jake yelps.

As far as instructional aids, I recommend the Spittin' Feathers, Treetop Turkeys, and the Cody Turkline CD's.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.