What's your favorite mouthcall?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by Bowpredator, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    My primary mouth call is an H.S Strut double D. Been using it for years and dont even try any others anymore. Sometimes I will buy their 3 pack which also has the Raspy Old Hen and I'll use it sometimes but most of the time, I have a Double D in my mouth. I also start with a new one every year. I never have been able to get one to sound worth a darn a year later no matter what I do and I figure they are cheap enough (specially if I catch them on an after season sale) that I just get a new one every year.

2. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

I use my tongue and the roof of my mouth while squeezing my throat - aint failed me yet.

God given mouth call...

3. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

Quaker Boy Beginner's Double for me.
    (I'm not that good). :roll2:

4. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    ol boss hen.. cause it reminds me of home.:wink:

5. Hayzer I know there is a joke in there some where:D

cant use one of those things I always want to swallow it :D

6. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Anything by HS Strut fits me well and will make a good call. I can't use Quaker Boy calls for some reason.

And I'm also in the club with Hayzer. When I don't have a mouth call in and a need one, I just let it rip la naturale.

Parker

7. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    I use my voice sometimes too but I cant get very loud with it. I mostly use it when they are in close and I want them to think there is a different hen there other than the one they have been hearing.

8. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

You sure it isn't your wiff squeezing yo throat?????hehehe

I like Primos calls...mouth diaphrams, and friction calls!!!!

9. paleohunter

paleohunter New Member

Dec 7, 2003
    Missouri
    I hardly ever use a mouth call anymore.. I just never really liked using them.. I was always a box call hunter it was just the way we did growing up.. My grandfathers neighbor made them near St James, Mo. So we just used his calls and then we couls talk about each one and why we liked the hunt... I now have a new found love for handmade striker calls from Parker...

oh yeah... my mouth call is the "Ole Boss Hen" by Quaker

10. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Primos, I've tried others with no luck. They were uncomfortable and made noises that just didn't sound like a turkey to me.
    I'll stick to Primos.

11. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Not to hijack the thread, but what, in YHO is the best instructional tape, dvd whatever, on turkey calling techniques?

12. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Rat...I don't have any favorites right off hand, but anything that shows a REAL hen doing the calls, is the best teacher...If you have some come in on your setup, listen to them, volume, cadence, etc. They will teach you better than anyone can show ya!!! Good luck to ya!!!

13. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    Here's a little trick I learned. If you are using a 3 or 4 reed call and having trouble doing some soft purrs with it when they get in close, try flipping it over in your mouth. It works for me.

14. stinkpickle

stinkpickle New Member

Dec 7, 2004
    My favorite mouth calls include the Quaker Boy Old Boss Hen, Butski's Hen In Heat, and Butski's Cuttin' Caller IV. All of these are large calls, so they fit my big yap-hole better than other brands. I use the Old Boss Hen and Hen In Heat more in the spring to sound like hens, and the Cuttin' Caller IV in the fall to mimic jake yelps.

As far as instructional aids, I recommend the Spittin' Feathers, Treetop Turkeys, and the Cody Turkline CD's.

15. Landlover

Landlover Active Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    I like H.S. Strut or Legacy Split V four reed calls. I like the range of calls they make and they cut very well.

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Senior Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Greene county
    i bought a little gizzmo to make my own mouth calls, it works good. i used to buy perfection calls, dont know if they still make em or not. 3 reed

17. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Lohman 839 Cut'n hen. Don't know if they even make it anymore, but I'm fixin to find out.

18. T- Bone

T- Bone New Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Wayne County Iowa
    Quaker Boy OLD BOSS HEN

19. D.R.N.18

D.R.N.18 New Member

Feb 13, 2006
    I use several, depends on which one the gobbler i am chasing likes better. Gotta say Ol Boss Hen and Raspy Hen has had a lot of success for me.

20. buckarooboy

buckarooboy New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Favorite Mouth Call

I like a Quaker Boy double reed call when I can't use my box call.