Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I doubt that I'll ever see this critter in person with a gun in my hands.

[file]81636[/file]

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
46,915 Posts
Find his den and put a trap outside of it.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never even seen a badger in the area, so it may be a while, or just dumb luck, to try and find its den.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
46,915 Posts
I never saw one until I was in Wyoming. About 20 yards away from me. Good thing I was in a stand.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
wow, cool.

find the den - look for a TORE UP area. they build mounds. badgers are very on the go and have several dens so dont think he's there every night. a standard coyote size trap would work but id make sure you have swivels and springs.

i heard MDC was paying $30 for any badger carcas from MO. (minus the pelt)

GOOD LUCK!!!!! trapperman.com forums should be able to answer any baiting/lure questions you have.

·
Grrrrrrr
29,945 Posts
Justbobs got it right on the way they range, if I remember right as much as 3 to 4 square miles isn't uncommon. Another thing, if you find a den, make sure you find all of the holes as there may be several.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That camera was in that spot for over a month when I got the pic. It has been in this location before for several months at a time and this is the first pic ever. I'll have to do some investigating to find out how big their home range is. Its possible that its den isn't even on our property.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
This time of the year they really don't have a den per say.They are more of a roaming type varmint that digs it's meals up,such as voles and mice.Usually they will dig out the last hole they get their meal from and spend the night there.If they find a mega good spot with lots and lots of prey they will stick around it for a few days.The best way to catch one is to use a loud bait inone of their holes and just wait.AS the others have said ,they have probably 5 mile radius for home range.Badgers are not as mean as they would have you think.They put up a pretty good bluff,but if push comes to shove,they can hold there own.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This one that I got a few years ago, in a different part of the state, could use a friend.

[file]81673[/file]

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,028 Posts
[rquote=1490697&tid=104128&author=Clippers]This one that I got a few years ago, in a different part of the state, could use a friend.[/rquote]

I want one, I want one.:wave:

We found what we believe was a den last Feb. Pretty close to where I shot my buck this year. Plan to keep my eye's peeled for signs again this year. Maybe Fishy can help me trap one.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,463 Posts
:cheers: Well see, you cut a hole in the ice on a pond, and get you a can of peas........ :D

Awesome trailcam picture Clippers. :2thumbsup:

Parker

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
They like to den in pond banks
[file]81753[/file]

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, is that thing still alive! Looks to be a pretty good sized one.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
46,915 Posts
This is the first one I've ever seen. Too bad we couldn't shoot them. Out of season.:shrug:

[file]81800[/file]

·
King of Callaway
42,797 Posts
Better wire that trap up good, LOL a freind in KS snares em says you know when you got a badger cause they dig straight down and the cable is tight as a fiddle string, have to dig them out.

Moj, what trap you think, I'd figure a #11 outta do it

Anyone ever tried calling them with a predator call

PW-I got a 7 day break coming up :claphands:

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
70,884 Posts
How long until a certain youtube link hits this thread...??:whistle:

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,028 Posts
[rquote=1491624&tid=104128&author=fishshooter]Better wire that trap up good, LOL a freind in KS snares em says you know when you got a badger cause they dig straight down and the cable is tight as a fiddle string, have to dig them out.

PW-I got a 7 day break coming up :claphands:[/rquote]

You sat the word buddy & we'll give it a run.

·
King of Callaway
42,797 Posts
[rquote=1491669&tid=104128&author=callaojoe]How long until a certain youtube link hits this thread...??:whistle:[/rquote]

CJ--------->:stickfight:<------------Fish

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
[rquote=1491624&tid=104128&author=fishshooter]Better wire that trap up good, LOL a freind in KS snares em says you know when you got a badger cause they dig straight down and the cable is tight as a fiddle string, have to dig them out.

PW-I got a 7 day break coming up :claphands:[/rquote]
Yeah a #11 maybe even doublejaw. I caught my one & only using a #3.
awaiting badger song:whistle:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts