Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Senior Hunter
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is everyone so excited about putting in for bear tags? I frequent a Facebook page and someone asked who's applying for a tag, and almost everyone said they are. They seemed excited about it. Are they doing a draw and only giving so many tags like the 5 elk tags? The odd's of me seeing a bear in Moniteau County is Zero. Seems like a good money maker. Maybe they should just sell bear tags to everyone for $15 just in case you see one. They would make even more money that way with the same outcome in number of bears killed.

·
Vendor
63,515 Posts
About the only way I see decsnt success happening with this hunt is if people that have bears in the area often let hunters know on social media and allow one of the hunters on their land. Otherwise its very possible zero bears get killed.

Reactions: BC-Buck

·
Registered
21,657 Posts
About the only way I see decsnt success happening with this hunt is if people that have bears in the area often let hunters know on social media and allow one of the hunters on their land. Otherwise its very possible zero bears get killed.
MDC is not allowing baiting, correct? If that is the case you are right about the the likelihood the quotas get met!

And Jager, great idea, that would raise more money and actually allow the 40 bears to get killed that the MDC has allocated.

·
13,514 Posts
This will be the opposite of deer hunting where the hunter is in a tree and the deer are walking around looking up in the tree's. Where as bear hunting the hunters will be on the ground looking up in the tree's for bears.
Bears do sleep in tree's don't they? :ROFLMAO:

I was elk hunting one year, stepped onto a fallen tree and Yogi's was napping on the other side of it...🏃‍♂️🐻

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Baiting should be allowed on private property. And private property only. Dogs should be allowed anywhere.

·
PURE KILLER
37,995 Posts
Gonna be rough to hunt, I ain't puttin in, no dog or baiting. Just keep them south.:)

Reactions: rat and 20'

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
What do you mean, "all of a sudden?" Bear sightings always spike in the spring when it's still cool temperatures and bears seek food and territory.

·
Senior Hunter
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm sure they do spike and I just don't pay attention. I've heard of several just over the weekend. Now another in Maries this morning.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I hunt bears every year near our home in Az. We have quite a few bears so glassing and calling for them works pretty well. It’s not unusual to see 4-5 on a weekend.
I doubt glassing would work in Missouri but calling for them should. It’s an exciting way to hunt bears and has been effective every where I’ve hunted bears in Az.

·
Under appreciated
87,496 Posts
I hunt bears every year near our home in Az. We have quite a few bears so glassing and calling for them works pretty well. It’s not unusual to see 4-5 on a weekend.
I doubt glassing would work in Missouri but calling for them should. It’s an exciting way to hunt bears and has been effective every where I’ve hunted bears in Az.
Are you able to use bait there?

·
Part-time malcontent
7,151 Posts
What does the call you would make tell the bear you are? Hot chick? Food?

Glassing definitely is not going to help much.

·
13,514 Posts
Rabbit or fawn distress calls work. I have a friend that lives in Colorado and he uses a fawn call

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
The first Missouri bear I ever saw I was predator calling coyotes/bobcats. At first I thought it was a feral hog, we have plenty of them, and couldn't quite wrap my head around what I was looking at for a few seconds. I was running a raspy jackrabbit and that bear liked it. It came in hot and aggressively. Was a very cool experience... after I calmed down. :)

This bear last year just lives where I hunt. I've seen him twice. He's a big old bruiser that doesn't seem to care one way or the other that I'm there. He just goes about his business as usual, keeping casual tabs on me until he wanders off.

I have video of a bear grabbing a deer decoy from in front of a hunters treestand. That one is in a different county than my bear experience.

Reactions: vonfatman

·
Registered
17 Posts
Most of the big bears I’ve seen don’t act real afraid of humans. I was with a friend when we spotted two pretty good size boars on a hillside eating grass on the San Carlos Reservation, we worked in close and he shot one, the other bear we couldn’t get to leave. I didn’t have a tag so shooting it wasn’t an option.
We were well after dark skinning his bear and that dude made us pretty nervous.
I’ve had bears run in, sneak in, and have watched them come in from quite a distance just slowly walking. One thing that seems consistent with calling is if you stop calling the bear seems to lose interest. The type of call doesn’t seem to matter, jackrabbit, cottontail, or fawn all seem to work. I have a buddy that uses a cub in distress call and has pretty good success.

·
6,360 Posts
Without baiting or dogs you will have a better chance hitting one with your truck than shooting one in the woods.....they are ghosts when they wanna be and smell or hear you long before you would get close

·
Registered
892 Posts
Why is everyone so excited about putting in for bear tags? I frequent a Facebook page and someone asked who's applying for a tag, and almost everyone said they are. They seemed excited about it. Are they doing a draw and only giving so many tags like the 5 elk tags? The odd's of me seeing a bear in Moniteau County is Zero. Seems like a good money maker. Maybe they should just sell bear tags to everyone for $15 just in case you see one. They would make even more money that way with the same outcome in number of bears killed.
Just like turkey season...

·
Addicted Habitat Junkie/Duck Whore
3,359 Posts
Only 6335 applicants statewide..............doesn't seem like much interest to me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts