Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used them and had good luck.

Used Conicals had good luck as with Patch and Ball.

But what is the deal with Sabots? Seems alot easier to just use a Conical.

oneshot
:D The Big Grin just uses alot of spit in his Pea Shooter.

·
Registered
405 Posts
It mainly depends on your rifle barrels rate of twist, a 1 in 48 will shoot a conicals or patch round ball very well untill you start getting over 80gr then the round ball is not as accurate, are it seemed that way with my old 50 cal TC. I used to make my own conicals that where called R.E.A.L. bullets, but was never able to get them to shoot very well from my big horn magnum, but where deadly from my 1 in 48 TC hawkins, but that is just my rifles, others rifles may very.:)

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Whats the Big Deal With Sabots??

So far as I'm concerned mostly hype. If you would believe most of the ads about saboted bullets you'd think they actually shoot almost as well as centerfire bullets. Ballistically this is impossible. I wish these folks would stop trying to make MLers into centerfire rifles.

Jack

·
PURE KILLER
38,024 Posts
Originally posted by JackJr
Whats the Big Deal With Sabots??

So far as I'm concerned mostly hype. If you would believe most of the ads about saboted bullets you'd think they actually shoot almost as well as centerfire bullets. Ballistically this is impossible. I wish these folks would stop trying to make MLers into centerfire rifles.
:cheers:

Jack

·
Registered
21,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think your right Jack.I'm really thinking I like Conicals,because of the knock down.

But as far as getting a Muzzleloader shooting the Long Range and not having to clean up soon as you get in,as you do with Modern Rifles.It does just take away.

oneshot
:D The Big Grin is thinking of switching to BBs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've got a Wolverine in .54 that is absolutely a tack driver with Barnes MZ 325. The exit wound is about like a 12ga. slug and the wound channel will make you want to hurl. Don't know how it's gonna shoot conicals, that is one reason I'm wanting to "slug" the barrel. I've always been concerned about using a pistol bullet in a rifle as your velocity is almost 2X what the pistol will reach. However, alot of the guys who are more practiced with their guns are extending the range out to 175 to 200 yds and getting great results from the XTPs. Not a bad thing to have if you're hunting over a long ol' bean field! 1madjack

·
Registered
3 Posts
I shoot all three ... conical - roundball/patch & sabots.

What's the easiest to shoot?... I think it's sabots!
No sticky or oily fingers from lubes -- no patches to wrap the bullet in.

What's the easiest to clean?...... too many variables to deal with there. I would guess patch & ball personally. Patch lube is easier to remove than some of the lubes that are on store-bought conicals. Sabots generally produce either copper or plastic residue.. so that ain't always easy to remove.

What's rthe easiest gun to maintain? I suppose my percussion sidelocks. They are easier to clean than my former bolt/plunger-actions or present Omega. Acutally, the Omega is a pain in the butt when it comes time to do a tear-down & thorough clean on the trigger assembly. It also seems that I use more cleaning patches to make the breechplug & breechplug area of the bore clean -- than I use for the rest of the bore & gun exterior. All that anti-seize crap really makes a mess inside the bore.

OK... I'm done!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.