What's the best Muzzleloader on the market to buy?

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders' started by Doubleshot75, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Doubleshot75

Doubleshot75 Active Member

Nov 6, 2006
    I'm thinking about jumping into the muzzleloader sport this year, and know very little about the options. All I know is that how easy a gun is to clean is very popular with buyers, and with my lazyness factor, I'd say that would be high on my list too.

So what's the best options out there?

Thanks in advance,

2. ryanlowe02

ryanlowe02 Sexual Intellectual

Aug 11, 2007
    Raymore, MO
    im in the market too curious to see what folks have to say...

3. poppachuck

poppachuck New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    cva optima-- cheap - easy to clean- n can get the job done.i got a cva wolf - good 100/150 yard gun..easy clean up too.

4. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Well, you are gonna get lots of opinions...

I have owned several from trad style to modern in-lines...

So, first off, I think it's best you separate those two as different items, even though they are both muzzle loaders. You really can't compare a trad to an in-line......

I have owned, CVA, T/C, Knight rifles. And of those, the T/C were in my OPINION the best, although the Knights are right there with them. I shot DWD's White rifle too, and it was a real shooter as well.

Of all of them, I still like the T/C Encore. A bit more expensive, but sometimes you get what you pay for.....

Traditional, T/C hawken, or Lyman Great plains would be a couple I would look at.

5. Doubleshot75

Nov 6, 2006
    [rquote=1890006&tid=131649&author=callaojoe]Well, you are gonna get lots of opinions...

I have owned several from trad style to modern in-lines...

So, first off, I think it's best you separate those two as different items, even though they are both muzzle loaders. You really can't compare a trad to an in-line......

I have owned, CVA, T/C, Knight rifles. And of those, the T/C were in my OPINION the best, although the Knights are right there with them. I shot DWD's White rifle too, and it was a real shooter as well.

Of all of them, I still like the T/C Encore. A bit more expensive, but sometimes you get what you pay for.....

Traditional, T/C hawken, or Lyman Great plains would be a couple I would look at.[/rquote]

Thanks for the info Call..... and yes, I guess I should have said what kind of ML i'm looking for. I'm looking for a modern in-line. I've heard good things about the "TC Bone collector", but I haven't even looked at it or any for that matter. Any opinions on that gun?

Thanks again,

6. poppachuck

poppachuck New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    i gotta agree with ya CJ.i got a T/C too.its a fine rifle.if i was just gettin started tho i start with an inexspencive inline to cut my teeth on.

7. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    No, I don't have any experience with that gun.

But, have been very happy with all my T/C products to date. So, it's probably a good one.

Easiness to clean is prolly gonna be a big one for you then.

As, even the easy ones, still take some time to get done right, if you want the rifle to last.... And, I like to keep mine lookin brand new... So, after ML season they each get a lot of attention before they go back in the safe.
    I'd say it's a safe bet it'll be a shooter, as would any knight rifle.

I have an older CVA optima, and I'm not real fond of the way it's made, but I am a bit pickier with my firearms. It shoots ok, but not as good as my Encore, or Knights.....:shrug:

8. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    BTW.... Just looked at that rifle on Cabelas... Looks easy enough to clean, and I wouldn't worry about it's shooting abilities...

In the Bargain cave for $499.... Might wanna go get your credit card... hahahaha...:D

[file]147385[/file]

9. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    And, the Black & blue version for $399.....:thinking:

[file]147386[/file]

10. Doubleshot75

Nov 6, 2006
    [rquote=1890028&tid=131649&author=callaojoe]BTW.... Just looked at that rifle on Cabelas... Looks easy enough to clean, and I wouldn't worry about it's shooting abilities...

In the Bargain cave for $499.... Might wanna go get your credit card... hahahaha...:D[/rquote]

hmmmm........ you got me thinking. Before I make any purchases, I noticed they also offer them as a "starter kit" which includes a •Includes Cabela's 3-10x40 Powderhorn muzzleloader scope for $599. Would you go with the package if you're planning on getting a scopt too?

11. gentleben

gentleben Active Member

Sep 9, 2010
    STL
    I was just about to ask if the majority of you ML hunters use a scope or not.

12. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    [rquote=1890052&tid=131649&author=Doubleshot75][rquote=1890028&tid=131649&author=callaojoe]BTW.... Just looked at that rifle on Cabelas... Looks easy enough to clean, and I wouldn't worry about it's shooting abilities...

In the Bargain cave for $499.... Might wanna go get your credit card... hahahaha...:D[/rquote]

hmmmm........ you got me thinking. Before I make any purchases, I noticed they also offer them as a "starter kit" which includes a •Includes Cabela's 3-10x40 Powderhorn muzzleloader scope for $599. Would you go with the package if you're planning on getting a scopt too?[/rquote]

Not normally a big fan of the cabela's glass.... You can prolly pick up a nicer scope then that, and buy the other accouterments... And, be at about the same price..... Although, I guess that just depends on how picky you are about the glass..... I am sure, it'll kill deer at a more than acceptable level..... Looks like one heck of a shooter though....

13. FrontierGander

FrontierGander New Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Boncarbo,Colorado
    CVA Accura V2 without a doubt is an amazing muzzle loader for the price.
    [file]147391[/file]
    [file]147393[/file]

14. Mastevt

Mastevt Strutt Buster

Apr 16, 2009
    Grain Valley
    I bought a cheap ML to start out with, CVA, hunterbolt, Didn't really get into it untill about 2 years ago, got it shooting ok last year, and took a deer with it, actually 2. I finially got an accurate load now. Took alot of bench time, but I'm finally there. Got a nice Bushnell scope on it, and can cut bullet holes at 75 yards with it now. There are lots to choose from out there, even custom ML guns. They can get real expensive, but if your like me, and wanted to try something differant, without breaking the bank, Optima is a good choice. I'll only say one thing, that is be prepared to shoot and test alot of differant charges and bullets to find what your gun likes. It can get frustrating, but when your there, it's very rewarding.

15. NOTPOSTAL

NOTPOSTAL New Member

Dec 17, 2004
    T/C Omega, $277 at walmart and its a quality piece. Mine will put three shockwave bullets into a one whole cloverleaf at 100 yards with 100 gr. of 777

16. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    CVA wolf black and blued is 165 at walmart....thats a bargin. May have to get into it

17. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

There's a big difference between the "best" and the "most practical"

The "best" would be a Savage smokeless or a Knight.

The most practical would just be a cheap little breakopen (with a breech plug wrench, not a hand tight model) from CVA or Traditions (though you have to be carefull not to buy a defect. Never order one and take it completely apart at the store).

I would not get a Bone Collector with those inserts in the stock. Those things actually poke into the stock and you have to disassemble the whole thing in order to pop them back out. Worst idea EVER (besides inlines themselves) :stirpot:

18. macon county boy

macon county boy New Member

May 6, 2009
    alot of guys will say t/c but i wont, ill be honest i have a t/c a cva optima and a knight . the easiest to clean and load is the cva optima hands down,the most accurate is the knight , none of the others compare to the accuracy of the knight,but its not as easy and fast to load as the optima. ive shot lots of bps and knight is awesome .but if i were new to the bp world id get a cva wolf or optima

19. Hallwilliamj

Hallwilliamj New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Bootheel
    #1 choice would be a Savage 10ML-II but be careful and know what you are buying. Most of the Savages are capable of using smokeless. Cabela's sells a version that is not compatible.

I own a savage that I shoot smokeless out of. Easy to clean. I just clean mine at the end of season. And they are very accurate.

My #2 choice would be a TC Omega

20. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    CVA Optima from Wally World with the black thumbhole stock is the way to go right now in my opinion.

Parker