whats that smell?

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by thefraznkc, Nov 6, 2010.

1. thefraznkc

thefraznkc New Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Independence
    You guys ever smell deer. Sometimes I get a big whiff of what smells like a deer. I will look towards the way I think its coming from and don't see a thing. Its smells like there should be one under my stand. How far away do you think us humans can smell a deer?

2. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

Mar 1, 2005
    St. Peters, MO
    I think you're smelling urine on the hocks and distance is going to depend on the wind and how long they hang out in the area.

50 yards maybe...I don't know. It's got to be the same as smelling a coyote; there's only a certain window in which you smell him.

3. Spartan46

Spartan46 New Member

I tend to agree with curtism1234. :D I think I just scared myself. :eek:

4. conradtactical

conradtactical New Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Jefferson County, MO
    Well, depending on where you are, I just farted. :D

5. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

I don't know about distance, but I've smelled them too. I also knew a guy who could smell snakes, and with his early warning it was easier to catch them. :)

6. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

Mar 1, 2005
    St. Peters, MO
    [rquote=1882923&tid=131133&author=GoGop]I don't know about distance, but I've smelled them too. I also knew a guy who could smell snakes, and with his early warning it was easier to catch them. :)[/rquote]

I shot a squirrel this summer and couldn't find him. I was looking all around until I smelled a copperhead. I figured it was about time to give up on the squirrel :pop:

7. Johnny

Johnny Crossbows!!!!

Sep 30, 2010
    Linn Co.
    I think it depends on your nose . For example my brother can not smell anything and I can smell them everytime the conditions are right . But just because you smell them does not mean that there is a buck there . He could have just freshened a scrape or had been bedded just down wind of your stand before you got trere .

8. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    I worked around hogs as a kid, I can't smell crap, literally. I like to run over skunks just to get everybody in my truck to smell that Sweet smell. Only thing I can really smell is, well, farts! So, that makes me a Smart Feller!!

9. Monofletch

Monofletch Senior Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Midwest
    I bet you smelled Bigfoot!

I catch a whiff of the pee I put out, but it is only 10-20 yards from me and I hunt from the ground.