What would you do?

Discussion in 'Social Club' started by Chase635, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Chase635

Chase635 New Member

Feb 16, 2005
    I am in the position to buy a large chunk of land 500 acres+ I have been looking in Missouri, Tennessee and Kentucky.

But I have been thinking about buying a tract of land in Montana, or some other NW state that offers more game to hunt.

If you were in this position what would you do?
  2. Hatch

Hatch New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    OFallon MO
    I would buy close to home so I would be able to use it more and develope the habitat for what I wanted to hunt. (rabbits,quail,dove,deer & turkey)

3. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Chase, if it were me 500 good acres in Missouri. Montana is an awfully long drive and what with gas bein' higher than he[[ why leave Missouri. I love Montana but I want to be able to get to my property fairly quick. Remember the grass isn't always greener some place else. 500 acres give you a big enough piece of land to manage for many types of game and it will close enough you can do this often.

4. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Keep it in Mo chase... best in my opinion.

But, where in MO??? Thats the question.
  5. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Depends on what you want to do with it in the long run.

I'd buy close to home.
  6. Chase635

Chase635 New Member

Feb 16, 2005
    I forgot to mention that where ever I purchase will become my perment home.
  7. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    Well it really depends on where you want to spend the next few years. That takes a little more deciding on your part than anything! Are you ready to get outta MO? Have you spent enough time in MT to decide if you want to be there?
  8. Woods

Woods Cooyon, Back from NOLA

Some friends of ours went through the same thing. Bought land in Montana, and after the first winter they were out of there. Write down the pro's and con's of each state and then decide. Good luck!
  9. doublelung

doublelung New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    500 acres in Missouri = a lot of land
    500 acrces in Monyana = not so much
  10. Chase635

Chase635 New Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Good points!
  11. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

It depends what type of weather you like. If you like cold, go north, but if you like hot/humid stay here.
  12. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    Did some flying into Twin Bridges, MT for some fly fishing and it was great. Ted Turner owns a freakin valley up there as well. But as some people have said, they really do have winters there! But the land, water, skies, are so, well lets just say a little piece of heaven! If you want neighbors you got em, if not, then you do not! If I were to buy in MO, then Grundy County!
  13. Mecheng

Mecheng New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    STL/Macon Co
    Given a choice I'd buy 160 acres to live on in SEMO Ozark foot hills cause I love Current and Black River, and 340 acres in NEMO to hunt on.
  14. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    If ya like snow up to your wahzoo then go to MT!
  15. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    i'd buy 200 in each place,when the snow got to deep i'd head south,when it got to cold here, i'd head to florida and finish the other 100 up there.
  16. danceswithbooze

danceswithbooze New Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Depends where your planning on living. I'd be weary having land all the way across the continent.

We are considering purchasing land in Souther Missouri and even that distance scares me.

Who is on the land while you are away, what are they doing? I can't imagine having land across the states and not being able to watch it. I say buy 500 as close as you can afford.
  17. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    I'll tell you what, there's a lot better place to buy that some of the areas of TN and KY. My folks live in South Central KY just north of Nashville, TN and there just are hardly ANY deer or turkey in their county at all. I'm not real up on the rest of the two states but I'd stay out of that area for sure. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't get much better than old MO.
  18. I've hunted and visited alot of other states but I'm always glad to get back to 'Ol Missouri. :D
  19. kcraider21

kcraider21 New Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Belton, MO