Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a FRIENDLY poll :peepwall:. What will you shoot. I didn't list does because based on what i've noticed from most of the posts those in favor of QDM see a need for doe harvests and those opposed seem to want to take any deer.

·
PURE KILLER
38,024 Posts
should you even ask? a big one or two or three for me,i ain't shootin nothing that don't have big horns sticking out:banana:

·
Registered
12,626 Posts
I'll take a couple of doe's but I have a spot reserved over the fireplace for a big wallhanger. That spot will remain vacant until that time arrives. Hopefully before I'am to old to pull a bow back:D

·
5,632 Posts
I'm with MoBow on this one. Does until the big boy arrives.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where is every one who has been taking part in the QDM debate?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CP I'll go along with that. do you work at the Crysler Plant

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
I'll shoot any mature buck regardless of rack size. I would like for it to be a trophy, but that doesn't happen all the time. If he is an obviously mature buck he's getting an arrow

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
Originally posted by MoBowman
The definition of 'Wallhanger" may vary from hunter to hunter. For bowhunting, my wall hanger would be anything over 130. Rifle would be 145. :)
:cheers: Yep, there's the answer.

And I'll be shooting does til he shows up.

Parker

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
Agreed MoBowman! I have been lucky enough to take a few decent bucks. My personal goals are 145" or bigger archery and about the same for rifle or maybe a hair bigger. That's not to say I may not shoot one a little smaller though.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
Originally posted by Hoytshooter
That's not to say I may not shoot one a little smaller though.
And I'm going to put the same disclaimer. I can't tell the difference between a 132 and a 141 on the hoof at 20 yards.

Parker

·
1,051 Posts
its going to be about the same thing here fellas.

whatever we determine to be needed as far as doe harvest and then wait for the wall hanger...or a deer that is very mature and on its downhill ride.

why kill a decent buck now that could breed a few does and be bigger next year? :)

·
Former Chicken Man
20,352 Posts
Anything. First come, first served.

My idea of doing it right has always been to do all the scouting and prep so that I'm at the exact right spot to shoot a deer in the first few minutes of the season. The longer I have to wait for a deer to come by, the more it shows that I didn't do my homework well enough.
I've shot deer without even seeing their head first, when I had an any-deer tag and there were no antler restrictions. Awesome! :sniper:

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,538 Posts
I'm the odd man out here. Kinda. I don't shoot many does. We don't shoot does at all till late season rifle & bow season. My philosophy is that if I plant all the food plots to draw the deer in & keep the resident does, the bucks will come seeking the girls. I have neighbors with brown & down attitude & allow them to keep the buck doe ratio in check. This season I"m getting more bucks than does on camera.

Primarily wallhanger here.

·
PURE KILLER
38,024 Posts
thats my main reason for not shooting does also.there is a enough people around places where i hunt that if its brown its down.plus the fact if i shot a doe it would be my luck a booner would have been right behind it.

·
2,157 Posts
BOW SEASON:

My goal is for a nice 1.5 to 2. 5 year old doe (gotta have my deer burger and tenderloins) and 120" plus Buck. (thats about the best we can expect in SW Missouri on average)

RIFLE SEASON:
We may change rifle locations this year and if we do, probably a 100" or bigger. If I hunt my normal place......I will bowhunt, therefore same as bow season expectations.

I am so ate up with bow hunting, I dont even want to shoot any of my deer with a rifle. I feel I owe it to them to try and harvest them with my High Country.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.