Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my mannikan in and mounted the antlers and was looking good.

The cape I was going two mount had already been frozen for two years. My friend didn't care if I tried mounting it . I use lutant F tanning kit after I caped it out. I had to stop the project for about 4 months started building a new house and had to freeze it again.

I'm now ready to mount the cape and let thaw out the last two days. Started working on the ears little today, getting ready to custom fit the earliners. Notices alot of hair on my hands and after I pulled out my fleshing ball the hide was pealing like velvet off antlers. I was able to pull some out of the main body as well. If I wanted to I think I could have pulled a whole hand full out with no problem.

The ears inside and on the back have bald spots and looks bad. Is this salvagable or is my first mount pretty much ruined.

·
PURE KILLER
38,024 Posts
a lot of things could be the problem,but being a guessing game .i think i would guess the culprit being not the right ph in your pickle.or not long enough in it.but there are alot of other possibilites could have been in the thawing to long before salting or maybe even bad before the first freezing.to many variables,once that bacteria gets going it goes fast and deer is about the easiest to slip of anything.you could try some stop slip but i think you ought to dump it and chalk it up to experence and try again.i know you worked on it hard but if you mount it more than likely it will have real strong odor that will run you out of there when it is dried.

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
:withstupid:

·
PURE KILLER
38,024 Posts
i don't have any that size or i would give you one.ebay i'm sure would have one fairly cheap,or drive the roads and find a fresh roadkill. been seeing alot of dead ones around here and they would have summer coats that would be great for detail,but make sure you let mr. game warden know and their really fresh kills:rotfl:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.