What to do with tree tops after logging

Discussion in 'Social Club' started by Boogan1, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Boogan1

Boogan1 Senior Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Blue Springs, MO
    I am looking at buying a piece of property that was recently logged, as in they started logging it last summer and finished this winter. It was selectively harvested, not clear cut but over 100 acres of it has tree tops and logs laying around on it. I see a lot of firewood there and am trying to calculate that into the value of the property. Where would a guy sell that much firewood? I have contacted one broker here in missouri but thinking there might be better pricing from some in states where wood is harder to come by. Where would I find that information? Also, what to do with the smaller branches? Just pile them and burn them or do I get a wood chipper and do something with the chips? I am guessing there is somewhere upwards of 500 cords of wood. I am not worried about the manpower or equipment to do the job, just what to do with all the wood to best recoup some of my costs. I know you all will have some ideas. Thanks! Boog

2. killmode

killmode Deplorable member

I wouldn't figure it would add any value to the property... at most maybe a few bucks a cord for the wood. The rest of the value of the cut wood will be added with your labor and equipment. The tops are great habitat right where they lay.

3. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    exactly,plus the time it would take to cut that much is would be overwhelming for no advantage.It has been seven years since logged and the deer still are using the tops for cover.Heck a few deer will bed in the same top month after month.

4. RB.

RB. Senior Member

May 16, 2003
    warren county
    Neighbor had logging done and he cut the tops up and used them for his heat and then had a stacks in front of the house and people stopped and bought it. With what he got for the logging and the firewood he did pretty good. Until those tops are cut and split they are worth not much. Over time they will all rot away but that takes a while. It is good cover for deer though. We have people in our are who have been logged and they also sell stacks of wood in front of their house. It took my neighbor well over a year to cut all of his up and it was only about 25 acres.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  5. bajabill

bajabill BDR529

Feb 16, 2012
    East Central MO
    let most of the material return to mother nature. Just as it lies.

and the firewood value is from both the raw material value and labor value, depending on you you value your labor, most (likely all) of the value is due to the labor.

6. Boogan1

Boogan1 Senior Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Blue Springs, MO
    I am going to leave some of the tree tops for habitat but there is just so much that the property really looks bad. I am mainly asking if anyone has contacts for a firewood broker or maybe a place that makes wood pellets or some ideas of how to dispose of that much wood for some kind of return. I have the labor cost already figured for cutting the wood. I just need to figure out how much I can sell and for what amount to figure out if there is any profit there.

7. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    we just had ours logged and agree it looks bad, but I bet the wildlife disagrees with our view.

8. 90acres

90acres The good ole days

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    Having it logged already should decrease the value of the property. You will have literally tons of wood to cut, but I did it more for habitat so I'm only cleaning up certain areas. A load of wood around here will only bring about $50 buck delivered so not a huge profit margin unless you really enjoy cutting, splitting and stacking.

9. mx1alex

mx1alex #HFBO

Mar 26, 2008
    #HFBO
    Logger took all the value. I have 93 acres (all timber) for sale near me that a logger bought and took all the valuable trees off of and left the tops. He's been trying to sell it for 3 years now and and 2 years ago offered to me at $1,700/ac. The place looks like a mess but holds a ton of deer.

10. Yahoo

Yahoo Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2008
    St Charles
    Boogan,

I am PM'ing my firewood guys # to ya. He is a logger, and has quite a process at home, he splits the tops, I buy 4x8 racks from him, Wayne is his name. He is north of New Haven, almost to 70. so I don't know if he would be interested, but he might tell ya what its worth to someone.

11. vonfatman

vonfatman Member

Dec 31, 2006
    If you are buying to use the property to hunt...might I suggest using the material to build some killer brush piles?

I am doing that now on our farm and have plenty of down timber to build them.

If done correctly, brush piles will last many years.

Bob

12. Maddog3355

Maddog3355 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Maries County
    Everybody around here use to try to get $5 a load if you come in and cut it. Now there is just to much wood laying around and they give it away to get it cleaned up.

13. glennasher1

glennasher1 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    Rabbits need homes, as do possums, coons, groundhogs (they'll dig a den under a brushpile), and all kinds of critters need good habitat nowadays, with all the clean fencerow farming going on. Quail and turkeys need a place to relax from looking overhead all the time, too.

Leave a lot of the tops, you'll do ALL the wildlife a favor.

14. josten367

josten367 Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Northern Boone County
    My neighbor has one of these Firewood Processor He cuts the tree's up in to 8-12 feet long lengths and then just feeds it in this. Then it comes out the other side and into his trailer. Takes him about 2 hours to fill his trailer and then off to the house. He is a retired forester that had some kind of contacts to get this beast of a machine. All powered by an 8N Ford.

http://multitekinc.com/app/inventoryapp/new_equipment_and_parts/inventory_view/2-3-23-1.html

When we did our tree's no one would pay to come in and remove the tops or pay by the trailer load. We just let it rot, what a waste.

15. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    That's a tough one Boog. You might check locally to see if there is a fella or two who cut wood for sale. Often they're looking for places to cut. When we had our place logged 20+ years ago I knew a young man who basically cut wood for a living and he cleaned up a lot of ours on shares. I think back then it was 2 loads for him and 1 for me. He cut a pile of wood off our place and essentially I gave it to him. I kept two loads for our wood stove. Around here, Rolla area, when the co-op built the power line through they left a mess and I couldn't give it away. Which was fine, I have a Hardy so I just cut it up myself over time. Definitely leave a bunch of brush piles.

If the timber was white oak the bigger pieces are going to be there a long time. 30-40 years.

16. Muleskinner

Muleskinner Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Osage County
    You will be lucky to give it away .
    There are guys that have huge chippers but the one that works for us is several hundred dollars an hour.

17. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

If you don't have a fireplace or a woodstove leave it lay. They will be no harm and won't last as long as you might think.

18. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    Unless you're able to do the labor yourself, I doubt the profit will be that high from firewood sales. Like anything, the raw materials are a small percentage of the final product pricing.

I know it looks bad now, but 3 years from now, it won't. All but the biggest parts of the top will decay back into the soil & feed the existing trees.

19. nevergvup

nevergvup Senior Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Fenton
    I used to be in the firewood business. I have friends that still are. We never paid anything to cut tops for firewood. Lot of hard work for not much profit

20. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    I used to get $50/load, delivered. Don't sound like the guys today, are getting much more than I did 20 years ago.

I cut, hand split & delivered 100 loads one winter. What I wouldn't give today to be as strong as I was back then.