Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
69,556 Posts
Nice 38-55.... Make sure you slug the bore before you make up handloads for it. Bore diameter is all over the place in 38-55's. But, it's a fun round to handload for once you get it all figgured out. :D

·
Registered
12,541 Posts
Only thing I've bought so far with mine was a new GoPro since I fried the old one filming a snagging trip. Probably put the rest towards building a deck insert and upgrading to a 30 gallon fuel tank for das boat.

·
Registered
31,366 Posts
Reactions: wingman

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
69,556 Posts
I shot the factory Winchester ammo sunday, put 3 in a silver dollar size group at 50 yds. And 4 in a baseball size group at 100. It was a bucket list gun for me.
I think the factory ammo is .375 diameter..... The older Winchester 38-55's will often have bores approaching .380. Mine is a newer gun, once of those Cabelas 50th anniversary, I slugged the barrel, and it came out to .376.... So, I have on order some .376 jacketed 220's, and have been shooting .377 and .378 cast bullets out of it. A fun plinking load for that gun, is some 250gr cast with about 9gr of Unique under them. And, if you had to you could surely plink a deer with one of them. :D

·
1,863 Posts
I plan on plugging a deer with it. I wouldn't mind trying to load up some barnes originals to about 1600 to hunt with

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
69,556 Posts
I plan on plugging a deer with it. I wouldn't mind trying to load up some barnes originals to about 1600 to hunt with
There is a guy who makes bullets for the 38-55. Vollmer precision. But, I highly suggest slugging the bore before you go just guessing on right bullet diameter. He sells a slugging kit for 38-55 for about $25. Slugg it, get right diameter, then order right bullets. I have 100 of the 220 gr jacketed on order, in .376. He's running a couple months behind, but finding jacketed bullets for the gun is not easy right now.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
69,556 Posts
This is the gun I bought....

Reactions: rat

·
Registered
32,047 Posts
Reactions: 90acres

·
13,373 Posts
That's plum ugly!! I wouldn't let anyone see it. I'll be glad to hide it in my gunsafe for you so you won't be so embarrassed. 😁
Looks like a gun that back in the day would reside in a gun rack in the back window of my truck.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
79,983 Posts
I'm going with something I can find ammo for. A year ago I couldn't.

20210407_095623.jpg

Reactions: Dafish

·
Biology nit wit exposer
79,983 Posts

·
Under appreciated
86,581 Posts
I actually thought this was a gag gift, but it actually exists.

I'd like to wallop a turkey up side the snood with one.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
69,556 Posts
That's plum ugly!! I wouldn't let anyone see it. I'll be glad to hide it in my gunsafe for you so you won't be so embarrassed. 😁
Everything is for sale, if you have enough money Bill..... :)

BTW, no stimulus money was used in the purchase of this firearm. Although, I still have not decided what I am going to spend my Mom's stimulus money on..... Do you think a new lever gun or SxS would make a nice memorial purchase for my mom? :cool:

Reactions: 170BC
41 - 58 of 58 Posts